cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

geotag photos

gpoole
Apprentice

I recently bought a T7 and would like to geotag my photos. I have no problem connecting the camera to my phone but can't see a way to transfer the location information on my phone to my camera. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

Gary

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't believe so.

If you have a Mac, I use HoudahGeo.

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi gpoole,

Thanks for checking in with us!

On the EOS Rebel T7, you'll need the optional GP-E2 accessory to add GPS data to the images taken by the camera. Note that when the GP-E2 is connected to the camera, you won't be able to enable a Wi-Fi connection to other devices.

Thank you both for the information!

wchettel
Enthusiast

Hi gpoole,

I have an EOS  Rebel SL2 which is similar to the T7 that you have. The Canon Connect app on my Android phone feeds the geotag info to my SL2. It connects automatically soon after I start the app on my phone. I don't know if the Canon Connect app works the same way with your T7 - you should try it.

The one problem with the app is me - I sometimes forget to start the app on my phone and don't get the geotag info. For these times I use the GeoSetter app on my PC to geotag the photos. It has a map function and can geotag MANY photos in a single operation.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

Thanks, Walter. Yeah, I have that app on my phone and can connect to my T7. It allows me to see and transfer photos between the devices and to remotely operate the camera, though the utility of that eludes me! However, I don't see that it can geotag or supply location data for photos as they are being taken. Seems like that would be a simple and logical functionalilty to add to the camera. But I don't think it can do it.

Gary

Hi gpoole,

That's a bummer that the Canon Connect app won't feed the location info to your T7. If you've got a Windows PC, download and install the GeoSetter app. You can bulk tag photos that are taken from the same location. Just search for "geosetter".

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

Wolfie0827
Enthusiast

Do you see this screen when you are connected to the camera or does yours look different. If the same all you need to do is tap the "Location Information and select to add to camera. Also (at least with my T6i) if I want geotags to be accurate I have to manually update the Location if I move to a new area, the connect app doesn't seem to continously feed the geo data to the camera. Not sure if that is the way it should work, or if I have things setup wrong.

2021-06-12 15.13.52.png

Announcements