cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

focus problems

slorff
Contributor

for some reason my canon is having focus problems even on auto focus..what is going on??

8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

Hi sloff!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your inquiry! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what Canon equipment you're using, and any error messages you're seeing.

Any other details you'd like to give, such as the types of photos you're taking, the conditions you're shooting in (day/night), and if you'd like to upload some sample images, will only help the Community better understand your issue!

Thanks and have a great day!

i am using the canon rebel xs...i use the auto settings alot and take a lot of scenery and didnt have any problems ..but now its like just taking simple shots of people upclose and inside with the flash ..it is blurry a lot ..so i dont know why all of a sudden this is happening

slorff,

Autofocus can fail to achieve correct focus on subjects in low light conditions.  Shooting indoors, there is a lot less available light than there is when shooting outdoors in the daylight. 

Try focusing on an object at the same distance, then recompose on the subject and take the picture.  You may also try setting the lens to Manual Focus and focus on the subject manually.

Is the subject still out of focus when you focus and recompose or when you manually focus?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

You might consider an external speedlite flash.  The 320EX has a focus-assist light and the 430EX II has a focus-assist beam (it project a red pattern that the camera can easily lock focus on in dark locations.)  

It's actually possible to tell the camera not to use the flash, but just use the focus assist beam on the flash.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

i have never ever had to do this before taking pics in auto in my house or outside..

Yes, a lot of your problem focusing could simply be that you are trying to use the camera in too low light, if shooting indoors. It will vary depending upon the camera and the lens being used on the camera. There are some ways to get focus to work, such as using an accessory flash (or ST-E2 flash controller) that can emit a Focus Assist (as Tim mentioned in his response above).

But, not knowing your experience with the camera and autofocus cameras in general,  I first have to suggest some general info on autofocus and how it works....

This video on YouTube is a good place to start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g. This is the first of three half-hour videos about how the Canon AF system works. Good background info to start with. I'd recommend viewing them all, then you may be able to solve the problem yourself.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

We would need many more details to be able to answer this question.  You are in the 'General Camera' group, so we don't even know if you are using a point & shoot vs. an EOS, etc.   What subject are you trying to shoot and is it moving or stationary?  Are you moving or stationary?  Are you using a tripod or hand-holding the camera?  What exposure mode and/or settings are you using?  Are you outside in bright light or inside in a dimly lit room?  

You can attach an image to your post (there's an icon just above the text input area which lets you attach photos) and if you attach a photo with all EXIF data intact, there's a good chance that we could offer insight on why your camera appears to be missing focus.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

okay ..i have the canon rebel xs model...this is when i am in auto focus and in normal light inside or out....i never used to have to do anything in this mode but push the button and it would be clear with the auto on....

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements