cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filters for sony NEX-5N work for my t3i?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hey guys,

The first DSLR equivalent camera I ever used was my mom's Sony NEX-5N but I don't use it anymore now since I have my T3i. However, the package that she bought from amazon came with three filters and in the past, I honestly didn't know what the heck those were for (I just got into filters within this past half year and now have two of them, one for my 17-55 and one for my 18-55). Now that I know, she has three different kind of filters that came with the NEX (not sure if they're UV or actually colored filters) and I'm wondering if they'll fit on my 18-55. Does anyone here own a Sony NEX and a Canon with the same lens by any chance and can help me with this? I'm going to play around with it today after I get back home from work but I figured I'd ask first and see if anyone knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

17 REPLIES 17

haha I was actually messing around with LR yesterday with some pictures that I took at a local dealership and was using the tool with the 'k' key shortcut with the highlight, shadow, and saturation. gotta say some pictures turned out really well but I definitely need to learn more about LR hehe Smiley Very Happy

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

oh and what kind of ND filter would you guys recommend? I have a graduated ND filter for my 17-55 but it's a hassle to put the holder and the ring on while sliding the filter up and down.

I don't generally use or recommend filters.  However, I do see a positive use of several filters.  I like and use protector filters, if you have a lens that is expensive enough to warrant a high quality filter.  In other words, why put a $30 or $40 dollar filter on a $99 dollar lens?  On a $1000 dollar lens, you bet, in a heart beat, as it comes from the box!

I also like and use polarizer filters.

And lastly the ND filters.  They are not quite as useful as they once were but can still be benifical.  Here again, keep the cost comparitive.  You don't want a super high dollar ND on a $99 dollar lens and you don't want a $10 ND on a $1000 dollar lens either.  Keep you gear in the same quality level is always a good idea.

In this case keep price in mind, along with quality, when you look to buy the ND filter.  Try B&H or Adorama.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

yeah I have a 17-55mm (3.5[?]) and an 18-55mm 2.8 lens and have CPL for both. I also have a graduated ND filter for my 17-55 and I find it to be pretty useful sometime so I thought why not get a holder and ring for my 18-55mm as well. But then, I find that the holder and the ring are a PITA to put onto my lens so I thought if there was any easier type of ND filter for me to use as well as put them on my camera. 

"... any easier type of ND filter for me to use ..."

There is!  Smiley Frustrated  Its called Lightroom.  Smiley Very Happy

EB

Yeah I guess Lightroom is the more detailed version of a ND filter haha XD

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... any easier type of ND filter for me to use ..."

There is!  Smiley Frustrated  Its called Lightroom.  Smiley Very Happy

Really? An ND filter can help prevent blown highlights. How does any photo editor, even LR, correct blown highlights?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"How does any photo editor, even LR, correct blown highlights?"

Probably can't but shooting RAW and using ACR, included in LR, will restore all that can be restored.  As neither ND filters nor LR, or any editor, can over come serious deficiencies completely, more preparation would have been the best course.

Bob from Boston, don't forget I never said filters have no place, simply they have been largely rendered obsolete with the advent of the DSLR.  As a matter of fact I do mention ND, polarizers and protector filters still have a place.  It is just even those few have been minimized to a great deal by todays post editor (LR and/or PS).

In my former darkroom and my formerly acetic acid stained fingers, are two dozen+ filters.  They are largely used to collect dust now!

BTW, in the case of protector filters, I am all, 100%, in.  You have a point, LR can not help there!  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements