cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debris on viewfinder

mg007
Apprentice

Recently decided on the Canon T3i over the Nikon. Upon unboxing found what looks like a large spec of debris on the viewfinder.  Looks like the spec is inside the viewfinder glass.  Upon reading various posts about this Camera/issue, it looks like this is rather common.  Blowers did not work. 

Question:

What are the chances of getting a camera that does not have debris/dust/dirt inside and that shows up in the image or viefinder?

Is there a fix for this that I can do on my own?  

I dont want to take it back only to get a unit with worse issues...or multiple specs.  That would drive me nuts.   I am somewhat OCD like with things like this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think the question that needs to be asked here is why is there dust inside a brand new out-of-the-box camera?  Was it a failure with Canon's QC?  Was this a used and returned item?  Was it a demo or display item?  Good chance it is just a fluke and nothing else is wrong with the camera but no one knows that for sure.

Regardless whether or not it can be cleaned by a blower brush, I would not be happy spending hundreds or thousands on a camera to find it came preloaded with dust.  If it were I, it would be going back.  Furthermore, if I bought it from a questionable dealer, I would be requesting a refund and taking my business elsewhere.

At the very least, I'd send it in to Canon for a cleaning and have it tested out.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

7D5D
Rising Star

Have purchased several SLR/dSLRs in my days and have never opened one up to find dust inside the viewfinder or anywhere else as a matter of fact.   I do not beleive this is a "common" issue but I have not done any research on the matter. 

Assuming you bought this new and from a dealer (not used off ebay or something similar), I would return it.  At the very least contact Canon and send it in for a cleaning since it's under warranty.  If you got dust in the VF, chances are you got dust else where.

Thanks 7D. Good point about there possibly being dust elsewhere. I was hesitant to return it because I read so many places that people returned only to get one with more spec. Good to know the issue is not so common that I should keep this unit. By the way, it was purchased new...in the box from a Canon Dealer. Will return for Spec Free unit.

It's not that hard to get specs of dust to show up on the viewfinder even though most of the time it's easy to clean it with a blower.  Usually the dust is on the mirror as it lands there when you put the lens in, especially when it's windy.  Since you can see it on the viewfinder, it's definitely on the mirror side. 

The first thing I'd do is to use a blower to blow air onto the mirror assembly. I'd point the camera down to let gravity help. I'd do this before returning it.  I'd get dust on the mirror which shows up on the viewfinder about once out of every 10 lens changes when I change lens in the field.  Every time it'd be gone after the cleaning with a blower.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Got a blower. Did not work. Actually, needed one anyway. If not this spec, then the next.

Dealer is out of this kit. May get some in next week. Thought I would simply ignore the spec since blower did not work. Now that I know its there, it appears huge to me. Ignoring is not an option 😞

Really would like to know WHERE this thing resides in case it happens again on replacement camera. My thought, ...if it happened once..it can happen again. At this point I really want to figure this out.

What are the possible options...and how would debris removal be accomplished on each?

Finally, when I remove lens and look into camera, I can see the little focus points (about 7 or 8 little spots) on what appears to be a flat piece of glass. When looking though the viewfinder, the debris is seen much closer to me than the focus points. In fact, with an eye pressed against the viewfinder the debris can not be seen. Camera must be a couple inches away from face to see it. Is there a way to get to the back (not eyepiece side) of the viewfinder glass/lense?

I think the question that needs to be asked here is why is there dust inside a brand new out-of-the-box camera?  Was it a failure with Canon's QC?  Was this a used and returned item?  Was it a demo or display item?  Good chance it is just a fluke and nothing else is wrong with the camera but no one knows that for sure.

Regardless whether or not it can be cleaned by a blower brush, I would not be happy spending hundreds or thousands on a camera to find it came preloaded with dust.  If it were I, it would be going back.  Furthermore, if I bought it from a questionable dealer, I would be requesting a refund and taking my business elsewhere.

At the very least, I'd send it in to Canon for a cleaning and have it tested out.  Good luck.

Announcements