cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon 5d miii + 600 ex rt flash misfire fw 1.3.3

kspatola
Apprentice

I've been having issues with the speedlights misfiring on my 5D miii since I purchased the camera. I've had the camera and flashes in a numer of times over the past two years to try and troubleshoot the issue. They've blamed the hotshoe (replaced twice), blamed the flash (power connector or something), and now they're back to taking all the equipment in and the problem has remained through any troubleshooting they've tried.

I've recently installed a FW upgrade as it was a known issue with this body + flash combo but I am still having the same issues. I also now have issues with the camera trying to fire my Profoto D1s which was never a problem with the previous FW.

I am using the following:

5D miii  (manual)

2 x 600 ex rt - one set as master on the body and the other as slave  (tried manual, ttl, hss). I've also tried PWs on the body and flashes and still have the same problem.

I'm still getting misfires. It is not a recycling issue on the speedlights (checked the times) and all of my gear has been looked at a number of times by the Canon service center - everything checks out fine.

I've supplied sample images, I've tried battery packs on the speedlights, tried PWs, tried eneloops, etc. My pile of unreliable gear continues to grow. 

I would love to know if there is a solution for this issue. I shoot weddings and need to be able to rely on my gear.  Thanks!!!

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you saying the flash does not fire at all?  Have you tried a different camera?   I believe I would have done that right off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@kspatola wrote:

I've been having issues with the speedlights misfiring on my 5D miii since I purchased the camera. I've had the camera and flashes in a numer of times over the past two years to try and troubleshoot the issue. They've blamed the hotshoe (replaced twice), blamed the flash (power connector or something), and now they're back to taking all the equipment in and the problem has remained through any troubleshooting they've tried.

I've recently installed a FW upgrade as it was a known issue with this body + flash combo but I am still having the same issues. I also now have issues with the camera trying to fire my Profoto D1s which was never a problem with the previous FW.

I am using the following:

5D miii  (manual)

2 x 600 ex rt - one set as master on the body and the other as slave  (tried manual, ttl, hss). I've also tried PWs on the body and flashes and still have the same problem.

I'm still getting misfires. It is not a recycling issue on the speedlights (checked the times) and all of my gear has been looked at a number of times by the Canon service center - everything checks out fine.

I've supplied sample images, I've tried battery packs on the speedlights, tried PWs, tried eneloops, etc. My pile of unreliable gear continues to grow. 

I would love to know if there is a solution for this issue. I shoot weddings and need to be able to rely on my gear.  Thanks!!!

Even the best of Canon's on-camera flashes have more power than stamina. If one starts to overheat, it will, as a defense against damaging the head, shut down until it cools off. Event photography generally, and weddings in particular, are very hard on flashes, especially since most event photographers use auxiliary battery packs that drive the flash harder than their normal four AA cells do. I sometimes bring along an extra flash unit, just on that account. Is it conceivable that your problem is related to overheating?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements