cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

built in flash doesn´t pop up

pamelotti
Apprentice

Hello, I have an EOS Rebel XS camera. The built in flash isn´t opening and teh follow message appear:

" Error 05     The built-in flash´s auto pop-up was obstructed. Turn de power switch to <OFF> and <ON> again."

I´ve tryed several times with no results. Is there something else I could do before taking the camera to the Service?

Thanks a lot!

Pedro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The pop-up flash has a tiny catch-hook which holds it down.  When the camera (or a manual operation) wants to pop it up, a solenoid release the catch-hook and the spring should pop it up.

You shoul hear the clicking sound of the solenoid releasing the catch a few times before the camera gives up and displays the error message.

It means the pop-up flash is jammed... possibly a bit of dust, sand, or gunk is gumming it up so it can't flip up.

Using your fingers, gently pull up on the flash either while pressing the flash pop-up button or just pressing the shutter button in a sitaution where the camera would call for flash.

Once opened, you can use a bit of compressed air on the hinge points to see if you can clear the problem.  You'll probably notice the hinge is stiff and doesn't pop-up on its own.  

I have seen suggestions to use WD40 -- but frankly wouldn't get that stuff near my camera.  If there is gunk, you could use denatured alcohold to dissolve whatever is gumming up the works.  The advantage of the alcohol is that it'll evaporate on its own. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

alxkohn
Contributor

I had an XTI once with the SAME issue,, all I did was reach my finger around front and FLIP!  Problem solved!

Thanks a lot for your answer!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The pop-up flash has a tiny catch-hook which holds it down.  When the camera (or a manual operation) wants to pop it up, a solenoid release the catch-hook and the spring should pop it up.

You shoul hear the clicking sound of the solenoid releasing the catch a few times before the camera gives up and displays the error message.

It means the pop-up flash is jammed... possibly a bit of dust, sand, or gunk is gumming it up so it can't flip up.

Using your fingers, gently pull up on the flash either while pressing the flash pop-up button or just pressing the shutter button in a sitaution where the camera would call for flash.

Once opened, you can use a bit of compressed air on the hinge points to see if you can clear the problem.  You'll probably notice the hinge is stiff and doesn't pop-up on its own.  

I have seen suggestions to use WD40 -- but frankly wouldn't get that stuff near my camera.  If there is gunk, you could use denatured alcohold to dissolve whatever is gumming up the works.  The advantage of the alcohol is that it'll evaporate on its own. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim,

Thanks a lot for your detailed and helpful answer. I tryed it and it worked!

Thanks again!

Pedro

I know its a long time since you posted, but I just applied your solution and it worked on my Canon 80D. Many thanks!!

Announcements