cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are cannon lenses adaptable?

julz
Apprentice

Can lenses from cannon rod T6 be used with any other brand or with other cannon cameras? 

my camera button is failing on me and I am considering trying a different type of camera but I spent a lot on lenses. can cannon lenses be used on sony a7iii or nikon cameras? 

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Much depends on specifically what lenses you have, the camera models  you want to use them on, and the availability and suitability of adapters.   For example, EF-S lenses will not work well with any brand of FF sensor cameras, but MAY work via adapters on APS-C models.   EF lenses can work on both FF and crop sensor bodies, but still with the caveat of adapter compatibility.

As far as compatibility goes, the degree of what works comes down to mechanical connection;  then autofocus, and autoexposure.  For example, Canon lenses work well with Fuji XT series bodies via a Fringer Pro series adapter: the series II and III pro series even offering an on-camera aperture ring.  Other bodies offer only mechanical focus and exposure.  There is a lot of variability: with other brands it comes down to specific model and the various 3rd party adapters made for it.

Curious why you would not consider sticking with a Canon body since you say you have a lot of optics - they make great bodies, and you are familiar with the controls.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements