cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the EOS 5D so prevalent in portraiture?

smirkk
Apprentice

To preface, I must clarify that I am not primarily a photographer or a dedicated Canon user. While I do own two Canon cameras (a GX7 and an M50), my main experience is shooting video for work on a different system (Lumix and Blackmagic).

Given that I'm not a photographer, my usual environment involves cinema cameras and hybrid mirrorless systems.

However, my partner is a model, and I occasionally check the EXIF data on her photos when she receives them. To my surprise, I've noticed that 99% of the photographers use Canon, and 99% of those shoot with an EOS 5D MkIII or MkIV. Actually I can't even remember an instance where it WASN'T one of those two cameras.

My question is: Why are these "older" DSLRs so prevalent instead of Canon's newer mirrorless models? Is there something specific about these DSLRs that makes them more suitable for fashion and lifestyle portraiture?

Some of these are high-budget shoots, so I don't think the camera budget is a limiting factor.

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

First, as an aside, Canon do not make a D5, Nikon do.  Canon makes the 5D series. 🙂

To your point, I think it is fair to say that outside professional sports photography, where connectivity is a critical component, and improvements tend to result in upgrades as soon as those are available to upload images in as close as real time as possible to agencies, papers, magazines and web publications. Getting an image of a sporting event like the Olympics out to the public is an incredibly competitive and demanding business.

For a lot of non-sport applications, considering the cost of updating gear, professionals take the attitude that unless there is a compelling reason for doing so, then they will actually not change their gear frequently.  It's all about benefits vs features.  If a new body does not offer specific benefits to the type of photography one does, there is no value.

For portrait photography, where conditions are often highly controlled, the need to update is much less pressing.  For a lot of portrait photographers, there is a preference for seeing their subject through an optical viewfinder - they seem to feel it gives them a better connection with their subjects.  I have shot with both and personally find either quite acceptable.  I know of several such photographers who keep their cameras for many years (I only recently sold my 5DIII and IV, (with some regret) and I retain a 5DsR (a 52MP sensor camera with the AA filter cancelled to enhance sharpness) - such cameras are built to last and, if they do an acceptable job, then there is no economic sense in doing frequent upgrades especially as the photographers know their gear intimately and trust it.  The 5DIII and IV are rather classics in that context.

While the R5 (and now R5II) are extremely capable cameras, they use a different lens mount.  So, to gain the maximum benefit one might think that there is an added investment needed in RF glass.  This is mitigated by the ability to seamlessly use EF glass via adapters on R bodies with major reliability: but again, for such applications as portrait and modelling, there is no pressing need to invest in the considerable cost of upgrades.  That would be less true for applications such as news, sports, or wildlife, where the conditions are not as controlled and moving subjects will be better tracked by the excellent face and eye focusing of the R-series bodies and the in-body image stabilization.

Basically, for professionals, if it ain't broke don't fix it, a camera is just a tool and an expense.  Unlike enthusiasts, who often are significant purchasers of new high-end gear: either because they just like technology, like to show they have the latest tech , or believe that the upgrade will elevate their photographic skills or results. 

The other factor, often ignored by non-professionals, is that the optics are really more significant than the bodies for many situations.  I think most professionals and experienced serious amateurs would agree with me when I say that the investment in glass is often greater, and will likely outlast the longevity of any one body.  We would rather have great optics and an older body rather than a new body and lesser lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Excellent response. Trevor!

5Ds are like tanks, they just work. It does not have a sophisticated auto focus but it's precise and does the job. For a control environment you do not need anything else but what you get from a 5D.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Well said Trevor. 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick!  One good example is this video: one of a series:

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Must be spam. I just saw and responded to the same topic with different user name.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

We think you're right.  While we've banned both purported users, the question did still have merit so we left one of the posts up and consolidated the replies from both.

But still a great answer John regardless of the original poster's intent!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@seddaa wrote:

To preface, I must clarify that I am not primarily a photographer or a dedicated Canon user. While I do own two Canon cameras (a GX7 and an M50), my main experience is shooting video for work on a different system (Lumix and Blackmagic).

Given that I'm not a photographer, my usual environment involves cinema cameras and hybrid mirrorless systems.

However, my partner is a model, and I occasionally check the EXIF data on her photos when she receives them. To my surprise, I've noticed that 99% of the photographers use Canon, and 99% of those shoot with an EOS 5D MkIII or MkIV. Actually I can't even remember an instance where it WASN'T one of those two cameras.

My question is: Why are these "older" DSLRs so prevalent instead of Canon's newer mirrorless models? Is there something specific about these DSLRs that makes them more suitable for fashion and lifestyle portraiture?

Some of these are high-budget shoots, so I don't think the camera budget is a limiting factor.

Just my guess, but:

1. the 5D Mk III and IV are excellent cameras.

2. the great video and autofocus features of the new mirrorless aren't relevant to portrait and wedding photography.

3.professionals who generate income from their gear are likely to be more cost-benefit conscious. "What can a new camera do that I can't do now?"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements