cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one should I buy???

New2photos
Apprentice
I want to start taking pictures but I'm not sure if I'll be that into it in the long run.
Should I just buy a T6i bundle or should I get an 80d bundle?
I also don't want to buy something cheaper incase I do like it but nothing to expensive incase I don't... Any suggestions would be great! Thanx
8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

Bundles often include cheap lenses which hurt image quality. They look good on paper because they supply some range rather than just a basic kit lens but in reality they aren't a good starter package. What are your current interests & what have you used up to now?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

First decide which camera body best suits your needs. I would add the T6s to the mix as well.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/t6s/vs/canon/80d/

As cicopo says, skip the kit lens and get a better lens. 24-105 f/4L is a good all around lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whatever camera you decide on, DON'T, I MEAN NEVER BUY ONE OF THOSE BUNDLE PACKAGES!

Smiley Sad

OK now, the T6i and the 80D are really pretty close.  IMHO, I don't see the need for the xxD series because it is just a little more advanced and features than the Rebel T6i but not quite a 6D or 5D series.  Some love them so there you are.

Neither is a pro version model as both are aimed at the advanced enthusiast.

I will say if you buy the T6i it will leave a little money left over for better lenses or lens. And that my friend is where it matters.

So I am going to suggest the Rebel T6i and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It will be a long time, if ever, when you out grow this combo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"OK now, the T6i and the 80D are really pretty close.  IMHO, I don't see the need for the xxD series because it is just a little more advanced and features than the Rebel T6i but not quite a 6D or 5D series.  Some love them so there you are.

Neither is a pro version model as both are aimed at the advanced enthusiast." 

There are some signficant feature differences between Rebels and ##D cameras.  The 80D has 45 AF compared to 19 AF points in a T6i.  Most ##D cameras offer auto focus microadjustment, while not a single Rebel has ever offered it, AFAIK. 

The EOS ##D bodies are a little bigger, and just seem more robust.  As a result of smaller size, Rebels will tend to have smaller batteries, which naturally means they tend to take fewer shots between charges.

Rebel cameras use a different plug for Remote Switches from ##D and #D camera bodies.  Rebels use a different eyecups and focusing screens, too.  Not all Rebels have been designed to use battery grips with functioning switches, either. 

I am sure there are other subtle, yet significant, differences between the two camera lineups.

[EDIT]  Given that choice I would advise the 80D and the new EF-S 18-135 USM lens.  But, a T6s is a much better buy than a T6i.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Given that choice I would advise the 80D and the new EF-S 18-135 IS USM lens. 

I agree with that, and I forgot about the EF-S 18-135 USM, it is Canon's newest version of the 18-135, and is also superb.

From oldest to newest there is the original EF-S 18-135mm IS, the EF-S 18-135 IS STM, and the EF-S 18-135 IS USM. Either the STM or USM versions are great choices for an APS-C camera.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@New2photos wrote:
I want to start taking pictures but I'm not sure if I'll be that into it in the long run.
Should I just buy a T6i bundle or should I get an 80d bundle?
I also don't want to buy something cheaper incase I do like it but nothing to expensive incase I don't... Any suggestions would be great! Thanx

Many of the posters here are living in the past.

While bundles can include cheap lenses like the EF 75-300, They can include very good lenses like the EF-S 55-250 STM. For example Sam's Club is selling the 70D with EF-S 18-55 IS STM and EF-S 55-250 IS STM, Sandisk SD card, and a Canon bag as a bundle. There is nothing wrong with that bundle.

As for the EF 24-105 f/4l IS it is a terrible choice for an APS-C camera. First off for an L lens it is very marginal. Any of the STM lenses match it's image quality (i.e. EF-S 18-55 IS STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, etc) It is designed for a full frame camera, so it is larger and heavier than it needs to be, and it's zoom range isn't ideal for a APC-C camera (not wide enough).

The bottom line is Canon's STM lenses are superb. They are designed for APS-C cameras like the T6i or 80D and should be your first choice of lens.

New2photos
Apprentice
I want to shoot portraits and maybe some landscapes... I've never owned a DSLR before

@New2photos wrote:
I want to shoot portraits and maybe some landscapes... I've never owned a DSLR before

Any dSLR from the T6 to the 1DX Mk II are capable of portraits and landscapes. So don't get carried away with the body, both the T6s and 80D are way more camera than you need for that. The only reason I'd say don't just get the plane T6 is it comes with an older design EF-S 18-55 IS II (note no STM or USM in its name). 

For want you want to photograph I would skip the bundle. Just get the T6i with either the EF-S 18-55 IS STM or EF-S 18-135 IS STM kit lens. Then buy the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens for portraits, and the EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens for landscapes.

Announcements