cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I turned my camera on and the sensor clean worked I heard two squeaking noises.

Alamin569
Contributor

Hello everyone I am from Bangladesh. I am amature photographer. I am using a Canon 70D. I got it 5 months back. When I turned my camera on and the sensor clean worked I heard two squeaking noises. Same thing happen when I off it.  I do not remember ever hearing that before. I am scared about it. Is it a problem. Please every one help me.

Thanks in advance
Al Amin

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check the camera inside for foreign objects, and have it properly cleaned.  Is it making these noises with, or without, an attached lens, or it doesn't matter.  If a lens is attached, it is a best practice to have IS and AF turned off, when you cycle power OFF or ON.

If I'm not mistaken, if you turn the camera on and it goes to sleep after a couple of minutes, turning it off while in sleep mode does not initiate a sensor cleaning cycle.  Try that, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for ur concern..Thankyou so much.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It's not a problem... it is fairly common.

Directly in front of the sensor are a couple of filters... a "low pass" filter as well as an IR/UV filter.  The front filter is connected to a mechanism which applies a piezoelectric charge -- which causes the filter to vibrate rapidly.  The idea is that this will "shake" dust loose to clear the sensor (it's not really the sensor, it's the filter directly in front of the sensor.  It isn't actually possible to touch the sensor without a bit of disassembly.)

That vibration will sometimes cause a "squeak" sound.  

My 60Da did not make the noise when it was new, but within the first year it started to make the squeak.  My 5D II and 5D III don't make the squeak.  Some cameras make the noise, others do not.  But the noise is not harmful -- it's just the vibration of the filter.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thankyou a lot sir. I was scared.

Tim Campbell

Announcements