cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Purchase

Pasar
Contributor

A’m currently owning 5d mark iv wishing to shift to mirrorless camera..i cant go for r5 am am thinking about r6, r6 ii and eos r as far as image quality is concerned! Looking at megapixels on eor r versus the other two options gives me headache…kindly assist me which one i should buy to get quality pictures? even if its not mentioned above

10 REPLIES 10

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I would recommend you read the following and ponder on the questions it poses:
Considerations for Buying Camera Gear 

The major ones are:
Budget $value 
Do you intend to stick with your current lenses or go for RF units?  If so, does your budget include optics?
What subjects you shoot?
What you will produce!
What you are prepared to carry

Also what EF lenses do you currently have.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Am flexible when it comes to budget, i onw several EF lenses i heard they work perfectly fine with R series using metabone adapter so am gona keep them..i mainly shoot potraits and little weddings 

What do you produce - social media posts, digital display, small-medium prints, large detailed prints to frame.
This is critical to the question of sensor size.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Mostly social media posts

March411
Rising Star

Hello Pasar,

Either the R5 or the R6 MkII will serve you well but as Trevor noted one may be better suited then the other depending on what you plan to photograph. The R6 MkII 24.2 megapixel sensor and the R5 has a 45 megapixel sensor. My personal experience is that the R6 performs better in low light and higher ISO's over the R5. So when I am planning to hike in the woods or in the city with a lot of shaded areas I grab the R6. 

The R5 I use for sports and portraits as I find the AF is fast and sharp. Many times I go to print and the larger MP allows for bigger print size. Don't get me wrong, I use the R5 for wildlife when the time is right but prefer the R6.

And your EF lenses should work great as long as they are not dated/old. The Canon adapter works perfectly with Canon and 3rd party EF mount lenses. In my opinion the EF-EOS R adapter is the way to go, the Control Ring adapter design is fiddly and difficult to find easily as it sits right on the camera body. I own both and very rarely use the control ring and keep all the adjustments on the camera body at my fingertips, I've missed shots attempting to use it. . 

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Personal Web Gallery

Thank you soo much

For social media posts the R6 MkII will be a good solution and the video is pretty good, an added bonus. I say that but I have only played with it a couple times and always focus on shooting stills.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Personal Web Gallery

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I agree with colleague, Marc.  If you don't need 45MP, then forego the R5 and get the 24MP R6II, which has at least one stop better dynamic range.   Unless you are going to do very large, detailed prints, then 24MP should be fine.

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you….much appreceated🙏🏼

Announcements