cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my next step?

DesertAura
Contributor

I've sent my Canon 5D Mark III in for service, explaining the problem and how it can be duplicated.  I received the camera back (they were very fast!) but they said they could not duplicate the problem.  Needless to say, the problem is still there; the camera was not fixed.

This camera is less than four months old and still under warranty.  It cost me $50 (shipping and insurance) to send it to them and I get it back with no fix?! 

My previous thread explaining the problem is here:

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/5D-Mark-3-Shutter-Release-or-Self-Timer-Mystery/m-p/90860/highlig...

The problem continues.  I can duplicate it at will when shooting in low, direct sunlight (e.g., mornings or late afternoon).  I was out yesterday with a friend who also has a 5D Mark III and we ran tests to see if his camera exhibited the same behavior under the same shooting conditions.  It does not.  There is a problem with my camera!

What do I need to do now in order to get my camera fixed or replaced?

Thank you for any advice.

Bev

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

No experience with the 5D3 but from the original thread I suspect it may be IR triggering like others have thought. We had a TV that would turn itself on under certain sunlight conditions (and it took a while to believe that was the issue). Your manual should show where the lens is located that the IR signal needs to enter & once you know exactly where it is cover it with some tape, preferably DARK tape. Test that in the conditions you've mentioned & see if it's fixed or not.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, that is exactly what is happening.  Have already figured that out.  But I shouldn't have to "duct tape" a $3000 camera to make it function properly!  I can put a piece of black tape over the IR sensor and not have the problem.  And when shooting handheld, my finger covers the IR sensor, so there's no problem.  But most of my shooting is tripod-mounted, outdoors, and the IR sensor is exposed.

There is a defect somewhere and all I want is for Canon to fix it or replace it.  They've already had it in to fix and said they could not duplicate it.  I don't think they tried very hard.

Bev

Is there no established procedure for when Canon Service fails to fix a problem?  Anyone?

Bev

In customer service, for any category, you can ask to speak with a manager. You will want to convey the importance of the matter, without hostility. A hard thing to do when you've been through the wringer.

Good luck with your service call.

Thank you, cale_kat.   Good advice, too. 

Bev

Canon is emailing me a shipping label so that I can send the camera back in.  It will be elevated to the next level of technical support.  Hopefully, they will be able to duplicate the problem this time and fix it.

Bev

Announcements