cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We put half a million clicks on our 5dmk3's before repair.

ClaudeConnor
Apprentice

Hey all, I work in the photo department at a company doing product photos. Just today we got one of our 5dmk3's back from canon repair. The mirror box failed after 550,000 actuations and cost $440USD to be replaced by Canon themselves. For a camera with a "rated lifespan" of 150,000 actuations I'm thoroughly impressed! Just thought I'd put this data out there in case anyone is looking to buy a camera with a higher shutter count.

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The mechanics of a camera shutter is delicate and most are made to withstand around 100,000-150,000 shutters. Canon says that their 5D Mk III will do about 150,000 and the 1Dx, 300,000. But shutter life expectancy isn't something you find listed on the specs sheet of your camera. No real difference than seeing mileage expectancy on the price sticker of your new Ford F150. No camera manufacturer can assure you how long a camera will last.

It probably has more to do with how many cameras will pass the warranty period before the expected shutters will be obtained.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

@ClaudeConnor wrote:

Hey all, I work in the photo department at a company doing product photos. Just today we got one of our 5dmk3's back from canon repair. The mirror box failed after 550,000 actuations and cost $440USD to be replaced by Canon themselves. For a camera with a "rated lifespan" of 150,000 actuations I'm thoroughly impressed! Just thought I'd put this data out there in case anyone is looking to buy a camera with a higher shutter count.

Hmmm . . .

What do you think that funny looking link leads to? Robot Frustrated

I'm not going to click on it. Why don't you click on it and see what happens? Robot wink

Announcements