cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using back button focus for LCD screen on the 60D

pixeltaker
Contributor

I used this method all the time, but now when I press the back button focus, it clicks like it is taking a picture, but no picture is recorded on the SD card. When I look through the viewfinder and use the back button focus, it works perfectly.  I would like to know how to get back to the former method of focusing on the LCD screen with the back button focus.  My Canon is a 60D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

@pixeltaker wrote:

I used this method all the time, but now when I press the back button focus, it clicks like it is taking a picture, but no picture is recorded on the SD card. When I look through the viewfinder and use the back button focus, it works perfectly.  I would like to know how to get back to the former method of focusing on the LCD screen with the back button focus.  My Canon is a 60D

You need to go to the menu and change from Quick mode to Live Mode.  In Quick mode, when you press the back button focus, the mirror flips back down (the audible click) and the camera is trying to focus.  It hasn't taken the picture yet.  To take a picture, you must listen to the AF confirm beep then press the shutter button.  Quick mode is actually the slow mode, in my opinion :).  Read more on this from page 160-168 of the instruction manual.

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

diverhank
Authority

@pixeltaker wrote:

You need to go to the menu and change from Quick mode to Live Mode.  In Quick mode, when you press the back button focus, the mirror flips back down (the audible click) and the camera is trying to focus.  It hasn't taken the picture yet.  To take a picture, you must listen to the AF confirm beep then press the shutter button.  Quick mode is actually the slow mode, in my opinion :).  Read more on this from page 160-168 of the instruction manual.

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

That was it!!!  Thank you so much.

Announcements