cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Brand New R5 with Old Lenses and AF Works Occasionally

johndd
Contributor

Bought a Canon R5 thru their upgrade program when my 5D Mark III was unrepairable. Now in New Zealand and experiencing AF failure a lot on both Canon "legacy" 70-200 2.8 and Tamron "legacy" 28-75 2.8.

Comments? I want Canon to know this in case it's an issue that requires camera to be replaced/repaired when I return in June. 

23 REPLIES 23

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the old Tamron lens has issues with the R5, then that is Tamron’s problem.

As far as older Canon EF lenses goes, you want to use lenses that were first released after 2009.  This is to ensure compatibility with all of the features of Dual Pixel AF sensors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using the Canon adapter $99 version.

All Canon reps told me my lenses would work perfectly.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Also, always tell us what adapter you are using.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Which Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 lens. Canon has released 1 non-IS version and 3 IS variants. Please post the full model name of the 70-200mm F/2.8 lens. The 3rd party lens is a manufacturer issue not a Canon problem. Canon can guarantee there lenses will work. But as @Waddizzle pointed only newer (2009-present) EF lenses will have full compatibility. Canon has a full list of which lenses are fully compatible with DPAF.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johndd wrote:

Bought a Canon R5 thru their upgrade program when my 5D Mark III was unrepairable. Now in New Zealand and experiencing AF failure a lot on both Canon "legacy" 70-200 2.8 and Tamron "legacy" 28-75 2.8.

Comments? I want Canon to know this in case it's an issue that requires camera to be replaced/repaired when I return in June. 

Could you provide more details about your “AF failure” issues?  Please describe what AF Settings, AF Points, exposure settings, shooting conditions, etc. that cause the issue to appear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The 70-200 is pre-2009. However, not a single Canon rep caveated their response that I would have "No problems" and there would be no difference in the performance between my R5 and lenses. Even the Tamron. The performance facts Canon may publish in a list go counter to what I was told when deciding between a R6, 5DMIV, and the R5.

My AF setting is single point, shooting conditions have been varied as are my settings (always on M), and the problem is sometimes AF works, sometimes it doesn't.

What are the lighting conditions like when this happens. Are you trying to focus on an area with plenty of light and contrast. Even pre-2009 EF will AF. But they won't be able to take advantage of DPAF. Since the lens lacks the hardware.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hi John and welcome to the forum:

Sorry to learn you are having issues.   I am wondering what research you did about lens compatibility prior to purchasing the R5.  When you say 'Canon Rep" - what was their relationship to Canon - i.e. are they truly qualified reps or just some person selling Canon gear?

What is the current firmware version of your camera?  You should be using firmware version: 1.8.1.

As others have mentioned, as far as the Tamron lens goes, like every other camera maker, Canon makes no warranty as to the performance of 3rd party lenses on their bodies.  This is because they are not responsible, nor do they have control over the design and manufacture of 3rd party devices. 

The other question is if this is specific to your camera or not.  As you indicate you are in New Zealand - so Kia Ora!  I am too, and if you are in the Auckland area, I would be happy to meet you and try out your lenses on my own R5 body, which has never had any issues with the legacy lenses I have.  I make this offer in a genuine effort to help you sort out the issue.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

When I was dealing with repair and they transferred me to the Canon upgrade department, those folks told me if I had no trouble with 5D MIII and my lenses, I would be fine with R5. So, I made multiple calls to Canon, and was assured every time.

I will check my firmware version. Seeing as how it was shipped to me just 6 weeks ago, it would be the most recent version.

We're in Auckland in early June. I will notify you and provide contact info.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements