cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade recommendations from EOS 6D

keelymchugh
Contributor

I currently have the canon 6d with a few lenses. I use my camera for nature, wildlife and landscape primarily. However, I tried the Sony alpha 7 and didn't like it so I want to upgrade my canon instead. My budget is roughly £600/700 and my budget for lenses is about £200. Is it worth upgrading and if so what recommendations do people have? Thank you:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, then definitely save up to be able to afford an R6 or R8.  The other models are of the first generation of R-series and not IMHO up to the level of these units, so if you want some longevity with the new camera, save up the extra.  The R6 is very similar to the R8 but does lack a few features:  The following video, while not my presentation style, does cover the basics of this: 

Definitely the RF 24-240 USM is a great optic and would cover pretty much all you need in terms of focal length and the aperture range is not dissimilar to your current kit.  If you can sell all of your legacy lenses you don't need to invest in a EF-RF adapter, saving more money.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

In addition to the great advice above from my colleagues...

Be sure to check out the refurbished models on the Canon web site.  These are as good as new, and often better because they are looked over by their technicians 100% compared to spot checking on the assembly line for new models.  Also, don't think of these as "used".  Most were just in store demo models, or came back as over shipments, or damaged boxes. I bought the R8 not too long ago as a refurb, and it was marked at $999 US prices, which was $350 off.  Since you are on a budget, I would check here first.  If the web site says "Not currently available" you can click to be notified when one is.  It only took a couple days for mine... but that might be coincidental.  

Some of the refurbished models come with a lens as a kit, which would be nice for your budget.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

It's a great idea, but I think the OP might be challenged as they live in the UK (given they quote in Pounds) and I'm not aware of a Canon Refurb site in that country.  If they wanted to buy from the US, they would face both US and UK taxes, and UK customs duty, which is not cheap, plus the horrendous cost of shipping from the US.  I am pretty sure that the Refurb site only ships within the US, in any case.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Oh geez.... I didn't even think of that.  Thank you for enlightening me, Trevor.  You are right on the cost, even if it was available... which it probably is not.

I'll just go and quietly stand in the "time out" corner for the rest of the week.  🙂 

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

Not at all Gary:  We tend to get used to the site being somewhat US-centric as the vast majority of engagements are within the USA.   Unless someone actually volunteers that they live elsewhere, or quote a currency, we have no idea of the origin of the thread.

I wish other countries would offer the solutions that are available in the USA - such as refurbished gear, or the great deals that come out from time to time - I am often very envious of my American counterparts for the deals they can get.  Such offerings are both very rare and much less generous here in NZ - probably because of our market size.

cheers, TREVOR

keelymchugh
Contributor

I did have a look but no luck for a site like that in the UK but I agree Trevor- more sites and offers like the ones is the US should be available in more countries. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements