cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Rebel To Mirrorless: Advice

e_scotty
Contributor

Hello there!

My name is Erica and I do photography mostly as a hobby. I have had my Rebel for almost 8 years now, It is my baby. However, it is time for an up grade. I do mostly portraits and nature fine art photography. I don't want to spend over $1,000 or so - but I do want to upgrade to mirrorless. I have been having the hardest time figuring out which camera is best for me. Here are the top few I am thinking of: 

- EOS M50, Mark II, Mirrorless (I tried this one in the store and it felt so small! I think I would rather a full frame)

- EOS RP Mirrorless 

Or another one?? I want to be able to enlarge my prints quite a bit. I attached some photos of my photography style for reference. Any help would be HUGGGEEEELY appreciated. I have spent months trying to figure it out and haven't gotten that far!!! 

P.S. I also love using my 85mm. So I will prob get a similar lens 🙂 Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 3.06.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-06 at 3.07.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-06 at 3.06.59 PM.png

15 REPLIES 15

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

At $1,000 you'll find that will be be all spent towards a body.   What lenses do you currently have? That will help in determining what to suggest.   There are adapters though for the R-series mirrorless cameras where you'd be able to use your existing lenses.

Camera's other than the EOS RP that may suit your needs are either the EOS R10 or EOS R7.  Though the latter is above your current budget.

I would lean away from the EOS M cameras as they don't seem to have much of a future.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for your input. It is honestly so helpful. 

I have a EF-s 18-55mm and a EF 75-300mm. 

I noticed that canon just came out with a number or new R series. Between the EOS R50, EOS R10 and EOS RP - which do you think would be best to go with? Thank you in advance!

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

I would wait a couple days and see what the R50 is all about, which Canon is supposed to announce Wednesday. Its projected pricing is only slightly above that of the M50, but it remains to be seen exactly what kind of camera it's going to be (e.g. will it be a true M50 successor, or more of an M6 successor - i.e. sans EVF).

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

This is great advice. I just took a look. The R50 looks great. Do you know much about the difference between R50 and R10?

The R50 looks very good, and closes a bit of the gap that existed between the M50 and R10, which wasn't that big of a gap to begin with. It sounds like the advantages of the R10 over the R50 will be appreciated more by people who are looking to exercise more control over shooting parameters rather than going with auto modes as many newbies do - i.e. it has more buttons and wheels than the R50. As an M50 user who appreciates compact gear, my only concern about the R50 is the possibility that there may never be as many RF-S lenses as there are EF-M lenses, at least from Canon, and that's acknowledging the limited number of EF-M lenses they ever produced. Sharing a mount with full frame cameras can be both a positive and a negative. For instance, one of my favorite lenses is the EF-M 22mm f/2, which is so thin I can practically put the whole camera in a pocket with it mounted. Canon is reportedly working on a version of that lens for the RF mount, but it will likely be a larger RF version rather than RF-S. Given that the R50 itself is already a centimeter thicker than the M50, you probably won't find too many pockets able to take the R50 with an RF lens. Crop sensor R camera users may not have a lot of clout when it comes to getting RF-S lenses. Canon is probably often going to say, "Just use the RF version." A related concern is that Canon is not currently permitting third parties to make auto-focus lenses for the RF mount. Will they ever? I don't know.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Since you are used to the cropped sensor on the Rebel, the R10 would a fit seamlessly into your workflow.  However, I'd use this chance to go full frame and would go with the RP.  I would get body only for either and get a EF to RF adapter and use your current lenses for the time being (assuming you have mostly EF and not EF-S lenses).

Definitely take a look at the RP in the store to see if you like the form factor in terms of handling.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

What are the benefits of full frame? I have one EF and one EF-S lens. But I think I can get an adapter for both?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Based on your postings it doesn't look like your Rebel is limiting you in any way. Don't get caught up in upgrading for upgrading sake. Decide where you are lacking and look for a camera that addresses that deficiency.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The top best points made:

" Don't get caught up in upgrading for upgrading sake...."

"... the EOS M cameras as they don't seem to have much of a future."

You didn't mention what lens(s) you have. Lenses are where it's at not the camera. And FF is not a good idea just because it is FF. All cameras are FF, in the sence you get exactly what you see in the viewfinder or LCD screen. The FL of the lens you are using just has a slightly different angle of view (AOV). THAT'S ALL!

"It is my baby."

It still is looking at your work.

I want to be able to enlarge my prints quite a bit. 

This goal is a good reason for upgrading if you can't enlarge to the extent you desire currently. A FF camera with a larger MP count can help with that. You didn't mention which Rebel you have did you? Being 8 years old I suspect t has about an 18 MP sensor. You will want a newer camera that has a bigger sensor count than that but enlarging is not just limited to MP count. The entire electronics in the camera can bear on it too. As you might expect newer tech is almost always better. Eight years is an eternity when talking computers or electronics. Forget the M series and look towards the R series. If it's out of the budget today save up for a while because R is where it going.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements