cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating T3i - recommendations

AnnaRamos
Apprentice

I have a 10-year-old Canon Rebel T3i with a 100mm macro lens and a couple of Canon Speedlite 270EX II. However, I'm interested in upgrading to a newer version. I believe I want to switch to a mirrorless and full-frame camera. 

Can you suggest any models that would be a good fit for me? Also, I'm not sure if getting an adaptor for the lens would be worth it, or if it's better to change the whole system. What do you think?

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What is your budget for a new camera. What lenses do you have besides the 100mm macro.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Budget: $2500.00 (total for the set: camera + lens + flash)
Additional lens: 18-55mm, but I've never used it (it came with the camera). 

I'm a dentist and only use my camera for oral pictures.

One option would be an EOS R8 with an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens.   That would do very well in lower-light conditions.   Total would be around $1,700 leaving a decent amount left for a flash.

My thought with this full frame camera along with a standard lens, is that would result in images pretty close to what the human eye sees.   The minimum focusing distance would be 11.8 inches, so you could get quite close.

Another option though, in case you need very detailed images, is with a Macro lens.   The RF 100 mm f/2.8L Macro though is $1,400.  So you'd need to go with a cheaper camera body; probably something like the EOS R50.  Though I don't know what would be more beneficial to you: a cheaper crop-sensor camera with very good macro lens, or a better camera body with decent standard lens.

I'm not exactly sure what the best flash would be for the EOS R8 as there are some issues regarding compatibility.  Will let Demetrius weigh in on that to see if an EL-5 would work (cost is $400).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

"I'm not exactly sure what the best flash would be for the EOS R8 as there are some issues regarding compatibility. Will let Demetrius weigh in on that to see if an EL-5 would work (cost is $400)." All of Canon's EX or EL speedlites will work on the R8. The R8 supports automatic brightness adjustment of the LED AF Assist Beam on the EL-5. The speedlite won't switch to Intermittent Flash Firing unless it gets too hot. During LED AF Assist Beam projection. The R50 requires the AD-E1 hot shoe adapter. That camera lacks the normal communication pins for older speedlites. All other multi function shoe cameras have these pins such as the R8. The OP's existing 270EX II will work if there not updating it. The EL-5 works very well. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Yes, I need pictures closer than 11.8 inches. 

I think the front of the lens would be around 8 inches away from your patient (the focusing distance is measured from the actual sensor within within the camera).   But it sounds like you'd be better off with a macro lens.

The EOS R8 with RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro would cost $2,900.  Not sure if your budget is flexible, but this would be an outstanding combination.

The only cheaper cameras in the R-Series would all be crop-sensor cameras.  All prices below are with the above lens:

• EOS R7 - $2,900 (same price a the R8 as of this writing at least at B&H - If you can spend $2,900 then go with the R8)
  • EOS R10 - $2,400
  • EOS R50 - $2,200
--
Ricky

I was looking at the RF 100mm Macro too. Since the OP mentioned a lens for up close work.

-Demetrius

rs-eos
Elite

As Demetrius mentioned, knowing your budget would be extremely helpful.

I would definitely recommend Canon’s R-series. While there is an RF 100mm macro  lens, depending on your budget, you could start off with an EF to RF adapter (strongly recommend purchasing Canon-branded adapters). Then over time, migrate to RF lenses.

--
Ricky

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi AnnaRamos,

I like Ricky's first suggestion.  R8 with RF50mm f1.8.  Pair this with a tripod and some portable studio style lighting.  You might not even need a flash.  I just purchased a RF100mm Macro from Canon a few months ago.  I purchased it refurbished.  It was under $1k

Shop Canon Refurbished RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc

If you don't have the room to dedicate a chair to camera/lighting set up, I understand.  In that case, a flash might be better option from a portability standpoint.  Plus most of your patients are probably wearing a dark pair of lenses for eye protection any way.  😎

The T3i and any of its lenses, dump them.  Donate to a deserving family member, church or school.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements