Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated R6 Firmware v1.8.1 Released

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Canon has released updated firmware for the R6

1. It is now possible to crop and resize images during image transfer to an FTP server.
  2. After updating to firmware version 1.8.0, the phenomenon that Err70 etc. occurs under specific conditions has been fixed.
  3. Fixed minor bugs.

Windows / MAC available

shadowsports_0-1678800415020.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk2001
Apprentice

Looking at the update to the R5 and as big as it is..is the r6 ii eventually due for a big update or will the updates generally be smallish like this one?  I'm thinking of getting the r6ii as my first mirrorless. Currently shooting with a 7dmkii. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This was not a big deal.  It only affected (represented) a small percentage of the R6 userbase.  Keep in mind there are millions of these cameras out there.  Out of prudence, Canon pulled v1.8.0 to investigate.  The issue on the Custom Settings Menu was identified and resolved.  v1.8.1 "the fix" for lack of better words was released about a week later.  This is the type of company you want to do business with.  

I suspect "pretty soon" the R5 is going to receive a firmware update that adds some of the R62's newest features.  At that point, its going to come down to someone's budget and what they need their camera to do.  Many will be happy at 24MP, with the R62's mirrorless performance and existing software features.  Others who need 45MP are going to get a "software refresh" which if true will push the R5 to the next level.

The 7DmkII was (is ) one of the nicest sports/wildlife APS-C bodys out there.  Its 8 yrs old now.  Super capable and doesn't disappoint.  While the R62 only has 4 more MP (which isn't everything), its speed and focusing ability are leaps and bounds ahead of what the 7DmkII offered in its day.  65 vs 1053 cross type AF.  It takes animal, eye and BIF tracking to a whole new level.  I was left nearly speechless the first time I experienced Canon's updated AF and tracking.  When you see how well it locks on and tracks (like a video game), you almost can't believe your eyes.  Go to Best Buy or a camera store and see it for yourself.  For me it was a put the camera down, pull out your wallet experience.  I was like oh yes, I want one of those.  Back to reality. 

At this point the R62 is "too new" to get the kind of feature / firmware update being rumored for the R5.  Check again a year or two from now.  Its all speculation until it happens, but there is no reason to assume the R5's update won't be anything but "Bionic".  Thats my hope of course.   😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
Announcements