cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twofer: High Speed Shooting in Live View/Blurry via the VF 90D

jotoya
Apprentice

Hello,

Have a couple of problems with my 90D I'm hoping someone might be able to help - many thanks:

1. High Speed Shooting in Live View Mode: Maybe I pressed a setting at some point and don't recall but I cannot burst shoot in Live View mode. I have tried setting the high-burst setting in every AF setting but every time I switch to LV I revert back to single shot with the high burst settings grayed out.
  2. Blurry view via the View Finder: This is weird. I use back button focusing and whenever I go to compose my shot and try to focus (whether manual or automatic) I cannot get proper focus. I know it's not my lenses as they focus just find when I am in LV mode - I don't get it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jose

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Once again Hubert, many thanks.

1. High Speed Shooting in Live View Mode: Turns out it was a setting - in the shooting tab, fourth secondary tab, while have LV activated, burst shooting modes (High and Low) will be disabled if I choose "Electronic" shutter mode. They become enabled in LV with "Mechanical" or "Elec. 1st-curtain" modes. It would be nice if I could enable electronic shutter mode as it is fully silent - actually it can be done for single shooting but not burst - that I know of.
  2. Blurry view via the View Finder: Your suggestion was spot on! I am so mortified that it didn't even register with me to check the viewfinder diopter adjustment dial! Absolutely worked!

Hope this info helps someone else in the future! The VF diopter notwithstanding! 😞

Many thanks again @Huberthardin!

Jose

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Huberthardin
Contributor

Hello,

High-Speed Shooting in Live View Mode:
It seems like there might be a setting that is causing the high burst setting to be grayed out in Live View mode. Here are a few things you can try:
Make sure you are in a shooting mode that supports high-speed continuous shooting. Some shooting modes, such as Aperture Priority or Manual mode, may limit the burst shooting capabilities. Try switching to a mode like Program (P) or Sports mode.
Check the camera's drive mode settings. Press the Drive mode button (located near the top-right side of the camera) and rotate the main dial to select the high-speed continuous shooting mode. Make sure it is not set to single shot or any other mode that disables burst shooting.
Confirm that the autofocus (AF) area selection mode is set correctly for Live View shooting. Press the AF point selection button (located near the top-right side of the camera, below the Drive mode button) and use the multi-controller or the touchscreen to select a suitable AF area mode for your shooting needs. For burst shooting, you might want to select the Zone AF or Automatic AF point selection mode.
Reset the camera settings to their factory defaults. This can help eliminate any unintended settings that might be causing the issue. Look for the "Clear all camera settings" option in the menu or refer to your camera's manual for instructions on performing a factory reset.
If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to consult the camera's manual or reach out to Canon customer support for further assistance.

Blurry View via the Viewfinder:
If your viewfinder images are consistently blurry while using back button focusing, here are a few suggestions to address the issue:
Ensure that the viewfinder diopter is properly adjusted. The viewfinder diopter adjustment dial, usually located near the viewfinder, allows you to focus the viewfinder to match your eyesight. Adjust it until the viewfinder information appears sharp and clear to you.
Clean the viewfinder and the eyepiece. Sometimes, smudges or dirt on the viewfinder or eyepiece can affect the clarity of the view. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to clean them gently.
Check your lens for any issues. Even though the lens performs fine in Live View mode, it's worth verifying if there are any problems specific to the viewfinder focusing. Ensure the lens is properly mounted, clean the lens contacts, and consider trying a different lens to see if the issue persists.

Many thanks Huberthardin for answering both of my concerns so thoroughly, I appreciate it.

I will try them and report back.

Jose

Once again Hubert, many thanks.

1. High Speed Shooting in Live View Mode: Turns out it was a setting - in the shooting tab, fourth secondary tab, while have LV activated, burst shooting modes (High and Low) will be disabled if I choose "Electronic" shutter mode. They become enabled in LV with "Mechanical" or "Elec. 1st-curtain" modes. It would be nice if I could enable electronic shutter mode as it is fully silent - actually it can be done for single shooting but not burst - that I know of.
  2. Blurry view via the View Finder: Your suggestion was spot on! I am so mortified that it didn't even register with me to check the viewfinder diopter adjustment dial! Absolutely worked!

Hope this info helps someone else in the future! The VF diopter notwithstanding! 😞

Many thanks again @Huberthardin!

Jose

Announcements