cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for documenting names of photo subjects

chzuck
Contributor

Many times I have taken photos and then later when I download them I was sure of the subject.  Like if I took a photo of a piece of equipment or large engine I could not remember the name of the subject in the photo.  What is a good method to take notes or somehow be able to ID the subject later, other than a placard that is by the piece? 

16 REPLIES 16

I do that, but that is after I am back at home.  I was looking for something I could do on the spot while photographing.

I have used a pen and paper sometimes.

You might also record a short video where you say what information you want saved. If you have enough storage.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I'n the old days I would take a notepad, then write the info on the back of the pictures after they were developed.  These days it's as simple as opening any note app on your phone, and using talk to text.  Later save it to your metadata in your editing software OR rename the filename of the photo. 

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Adding: voice recorder? Some are very small to carry in a pocket or vest.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

As Tintype_18 mentions above, a small digital audio recorder should do the trrick.You can find them pretty cheaply online and most seem to have a setting that allows them to be voice activated. You might also be able to synchonize the clock on your camera with the recoeder to help keep things oganized by comparing the time stamps on your pics and the audio clips.

Another approach might be to use the video cam on a cell phone. Shoot your stills and then shoot a short video clip of your subject while adding an audio description. Then review the video while sorting and annotating your stills.

On a phone you can probably get Siri to create an entry into the note app. (Or the android equivalent)

chzuck
Contributor

Lots of great ideas!  Thanks.

Announcements