cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on upgrade from 70D to R7

derrt
Apprentice

I got an offer at 1000€ for a R7 with 1 extra battery. Is worth the upgrade from an old DLSR 70D? I have some EF-S lenses so I think is better to stick with the aps-c sensor instead of the ff with the R8.

What do you think?

I do mainly photos but I would like to take some videos too, but I think the 70D video quality is not very good..

4 REPLIES 4

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

You would be getting a huge increase in many areas with the R7.  For starters the technology is 9 years newer, and there have been plenty of advances in 9 years.  As for the specs, there are too many to quickly list, but this comparison will show you what you really want to know...
https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos70d&products=canon_eosr7 

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

ctitanic
Rising Star

Compared to the 70D, the R7 is for sure a big upgrade. Once you have shot with a mirrorless camera is hard to go back and shoot with a DSLR.

One thing, you will need to get used to the R7 auto focus. That will be your major learning curve. 

Keep in mind that you will need an adapter to use your EF-S lenses in the R7.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

"Once you have shot with a mirrorless camera is hard to go back and shoot with a DSLR."

While I agree with your other points, personally I have to disagree with this one.  After 5 years of shooting mirrorless, there are still reasons I love shooting my Canon and Pentax DSLRs.  The optical viewfinder of the DSLR is the biggest reason.  Battery life seems longer in any of my DSLRs over any of my mirrorless cameras, which is big when I am hired to shoot sporting events.   This is going to vary with everyone, but to me the ergonomics of a DSLR are much better than a smaller mirrorless.  There are many other reasons as well.  I'm not saying that there are not advantages of Mirrorless over DSLR, there are plenty.  I just know that with myself, and quite a few photographer friends, we are just as likely to grab our DSLR when we go out to shoot an event as we are our Mirrorless cameras.  

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

I agree with your opinion. The Old DSLRs left a mark on us.

My backup camera is a Canon 5D Mark III, so I know that feeling. That's the main reason why even when Canon are not making them any more Canon DSLRs still around. That said, mirrorless cameras are the future and features as Eve AF are improving with every new release now powered with AI. 

Do I take the 5D Mark III sometimes for a walk? Yes, but it's there as a backup camera, no longer as my main camera.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.
Announcements