cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This might be my last ever Canon product!

rmrgdr
Contributor

Had a several great Canon 35mm film camera, a Rebel dslr  that lasted for MANY  years, then corrupted it's electronics and became useless.

Bought a new . 

Rebel last August ( 2016 ), now suddendly it does NOTHING when plugged into either PC I use. Litteraly, one day it works fine, the NEXT DAY........will not work. NOTHING was changed ( by me ) on the computers, the only change on the camera was I formatted the card ( to erase previous un needed images). The images are on the camera, but NOTHING pops up, no connection to any photo program ( I have several ). 

Both PC's "see" the camera, indicate it's there, but no recognizing of images to be downloaded.

How could formatting the card cause this?At wits end, ANY IDEAS BY ANYONE??

HELP!

21 REPLIES 21

Crista
Whiz

Hi rmrgdr! 

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forums!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS). That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

Windows 7, 32 bit.

I do NOT think the problem is in the two seperate PC's! I think it's a camera proble, same as my old camera. NOT hardware or mechanical , A software problem wity the camera. It seems illogical to think the PC's are the problem!!!

Oops!  We forgot to ask what Canon EOS Rebel model you're using.  Please let us know what camera model you've got so we can know what you're trying to connect to your Windows 7 computer.

We hope to hear from you soon!

@rmrgdr wrote:

Windows 7, 32 bit.

I do NOT think the problem is in the two seperate PC's! I think it's a camera proble, same as my old camera. NOT hardware or mechanical , A software problem wity the camera. It seems illogical to think the PC's are the problem!!!

Actually, using two separate PC's could be exactly what the problem is. 

Your camera doesn't know, and doesn't care, which PC it connects to.  All it knows is whether or not a given image has ever been downloaded to a PC.  This is how the camera knows to only download just the "new" photos that you have taken, instead downloading the entire contents of the memory card.

The EOS Utility allows you to manually select which files to download.  I suggest that you use that part of the utility if the images have been previously downloaded.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Had no trouble at all for six months. 

It's a Canon EOS Rebel T6. The ONLY setting on the camera and / or the PC's is "FORMATTING THE DISK">

Yes I have a card reader, but WHY should I suddenly have to use that???

IDK, It is almost impossible to troubleshoot this kind of thing long distance. You can try to reset the settings on the T6.

@rmrgdr wrote:

Had no trouble at all for six months. 

It's a Canon EOS Rebel T6. The ONLY setting on the camera and / or the PC's is "FORMATTING THE DISK">

Yes I have a card reader, but WHY should I suddenly have to use that???

If you are using a Rebel T6 with a USB cable, make sure that your camera is in USB mode, not Wi-Fi mode.

A message that says "FORMATTING THE DISK" is something I find disturbing, most especially if your PC says that.  That  almost sounds like your PC's hard drive is being erased.  Why are you getting that message? 

Make sure that you are using a quality, brand name SD card, and not a micro-SD card.  I would try a new card, like a Lexar or Sandisk 32GB card, class 10.  New cards need to have an initial low level format performed in the camera, not by your PC.

"formatting Disk" is part of the camera's menu. I did it a thousand times before.

I'm not sure people are reading what I'm writing here!

@rmrgdr wrote:

"formatting Disk" is part of the camera's menu. I did it a thousand times before.

I'm not sure people are reading what I'm writing here!

What you have written so far has mostly been rambling ranting, angry tirades, sorely lacking in logical coherence, which makes it all hard to follow.  See your reply above. 

You need to calmly and rationally explain the circumstances that reproduce the problem.  Help someone to help you. 

Announcements