cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These in camera settings can be changed in post when using RAW?

dsalvego
Contributor

Hello everyone.

I have a doubt about some settings that I have in my camera (6D MKII). Some settings can be changed in post on Lightroom, for example, white balance, but some I'm not sure if the camera just affects when shooting in JPEG or if physicaly changes the RAW file.

Below are the settings I don't know if it matters when shotting in RAW:

- Auto White Balance (White Priority) - Is this just adjusting the temperature and tint via EXIF?

- Lens Correction - Lightroom already has a lens correction. Should I use just from the camera, LR or both?

- Auto Lighting Optimizer - Basically it gets more detail on the darker areas of the image. Maybe the camera is just changing the black tones via EXIF?

- Highlight Tone Priority - The same as the prior, but in the highlight areas.

- Long Exposure Noise Reduction and Nigh ISO Speed NR - Both are features to reduce noise. Is it better than the NR from LR?

These settings above are all "common" settings I use in LR. Should I care to use it on camera if I'm shooting in RAW?

Anyone has this kind of info? Or somene tested these with RAW + LR?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you download the Instruction Manual for your camera, and the User’s Manual for DPP.

I realize that i did not provide direct answers to your questions.  Understand that the answers you seek are in the manuals, as well as many others that you have yet to reaiize.

-No

- You, cannot use both.  Why?  Do people wear two sets of glasses from to different eye doctors?

- Good guess, but you’re making false assumptions.  Google dynamic range and HDR, high dynamic range.

- ALO, is a smart adjustment to extend the dynamic range.

- Highlight Tone Priority aims to highlight skin tones.  Refer to the manual.

- This answer depends on whether you shoot RAW or JPEG.

I suggest that you read the manual and experiment with camera settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Below are the settings I don't know if it matters when shotting in RAW:

- Auto White Balance (White Priority) - Is this just adjusting the temperature and tint via EXIF?

- Lens Correction - Lightroom already has a lens correction. Should I use just from the camera, LR or both?

- Auto Lighting Optimizer - Basically it gets more detail on the darker areas of the image. Maybe the camera is just changing the black tones via EXIF?

- Highlight Tone Priority - The same as the prior, but in the highlight areas.

- Long Exposure Noise Reduction and Nigh ISO Speed NR - Both are features to reduce noise. Is it better than the NR from LR?

These settings above are all "common" settings I use in LR. Should I care to use it on camera if I'm shooting in RAW?

Anyone has this kind of info?"

This is kinda two sided. Do any of those settings effect or apply to a Raw file.  The simple answer is 'no', they don't. However, what you need to know is, Raw's benefit is the greater amount of flexibility in editing and adjustments.  Let's look at your choices, Raw or jpeg.

Jepgs are compressed to make them smaller.  How do they do this?  They discard and delete file info that the processor doesn't think you need. It is gone forever.

A Raw file is the image as the camera's sensor records it.  It is analogous to unprocessed film in the olden days. Before you developed it.  Instead of letting the camera process, or develop, the image for you, turning it into a JPEG image, Raw allows you to process the image the way you want. Raw is essentially just exposure.  It is comprised of luminosity only. Light and dark. Raw is not an image, it is a data file.

Well you say I will shot Raw as the benefit is so much better.  But hold on, you can't view or see or display a Raw file. So now what do we do? Well, your editor or viewer uses the jpeg settings that you did in your camera. When it converts the Raw data into a viewable image it reads a small metadata tag stored in the Raw file.  So, now the simple answer is 'yes', they do effect it.

Rest assured that you will be and are able to edit it however you please. And, best of all, the Raw file itself is never altered or changed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements