cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i disables mic when HDMI is connected

DrDerrp
Contributor

I am using an external monitor to shoot some video and do live recordings.  At least I am trying to.  Whenever I plug in an HDMI to the camera, my mic stops working (onboard mic and external).  Any way to fix this?

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't think so, I believe it is feedback protection.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@DrDerrp wrote:

I am using an external monitor to shoot some video and do live recordings.  At least I am trying to.  Whenever I plug in an HDMI to the camera, my mic stops working (onboard mic and external).  Any way to fix this?

Doesn't your recording monitor have a separate audio input?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not that I know of.  The camera will still record audio, but I don't want to record it. I want LIVE audio like a mic should be doing so I can use the camera as a video camera for live broadcasting.

On the lower-level cameras Canon disables the audio out of HDMI for recording to prevent feedback when you use a TV as a monitor. You can't disable this feature.

@DrDerrp wrote:

Not that I know of.  The camera will still record audio, but I don't want to record it. I want LIVE audio like a mic should be doing so I can use the camera as a video camera for live broadcasting.

Of course, the camera records audio internally.  It just does not have an audio output.  HDMI output is strictly video, and this is true for every camera I have used, including myCinema EOS C100 video camera.  Audio is a completely separate signal.

Alright, so how to I get audio output to work then?

@DrDerrp wrote:

Alright, so how to I get audio output to work then?

You don't because you can't.  There is no audio output.  Period.  Use an external microphone.

I have an external microphone.  It's plugged in, it's 3.5mm. It has it's own power source.  I plug in the hdmi cord, mic stops working.

@DrDerrp wrote:

I have an external microphone.  It's plugged in, it's 3.5mm. It has it's own power source.  I plug in the hdmi cord, mic stops working.

Plug the microphone into your recorder.  Good luck.  

Announcements