cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i v. T2i

dish
Apprentice

Will a T6i get a better quality image than a T2i? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yes. It has the newer sensor.

There was little or no advancement in the 18MP sensor on the T2i all through the T3i, T4i and T5i.  The T6i goes up to over 24MP for greater resolution and still manages to also do better image quality in low light at high ISO.  It also upgrades the previously very basic autofocus of the Rebel lines, now sporting the 19 point autofocus from the 7D, which until recently was the top Canon sports camera with a crop sensor.  

I think it will be a very noticable improvement over the T2i, which is something I would not have said about the T5i.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

dish
Apprentice

Thanks all. Does the T6i require purchasing better lenses or will the ones I currently use for the T2i suffice? Thanks.

Since we don't know which ones you have that is hard to answer, but the ones you have should suffice until you decide you need something better.

dish
Apprentice

One lens I use a lot is a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I believe the Tamron is a lower end lens? Would it be more advantageous to upgrade this lens to match the quality of the T6i?

@dish wrote:

One lens I use a lot is a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I believe the Tamron is a lower end lens? Would it be more advantageous to upgrade this lens to match the quality of the T6i?

Good glass is where the rubber hits the road.  Your photos will never be better than the quality of your lens. 

Would it be more advantageous to upgrade that Tamron lens?  Again, that depends upon other factors, like what other lenses you have, and what you want to photograph.  Many people would first want to add lenses that expand their range of focal lengths.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@dish wrote:

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 actually has pretty good image quality. What I don't like about that lens is I found it to have unreliable focus, especially in low light. So unless you don't like the focus performance, it is probably not worth upgrading that lens.

That said current Canon kit lenses are very good. So it wouldn't hurt to get the EF-S 18-135 IS STM or EF-S 18-135 IS USM as part of a kit with your new camera. The 18-135 IS STM or USM makes a better everyday use lens, than the 17-50 f/2.8.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements