cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i Not Responding

MMcTO
Apprentice

I just bought a used T6i after enjoying a used Rebel XT for a number of years. I was checking things out. It was working fine, battery is fully charged. I thought I would try the NFC/Wifi (have never had that). I downloaded the Canon Connect app on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S24). I had downloaded the Function Instruction Manual and was following the instructions. I was trying to pair up the NFC first and was waiting for something to show on the screen. The blue wifi symbol was flashing steady. Then, the camera screen went dark, I thought it had timed out. But now, I cannot get the camera to work. I have tried turning it on/off. Removed the battery and it's still charged (plugged it into the charger for a few hours just to be sure). Turned the NFC off on my phone. Uninstalled the app from my phone.  All that happens is when I turn the camera on I get that red light on the right side of the camera briefly flashes but nothing else so I know it's powered. I cannot get the screen to turn on and the camera doesn't function. I keep thinking maybe it is somehow 'stuck' in NFC mode? When it was functioning I was fiddling with lots of settings (as you do with a new camera, right lol?) Now I'm just smacking my head. I must've done something but can't figure it at all. Without access to the screen, I can't do a re-set--when I contacted Canon Support all they could say is, that without being able to do that, they can only recommend me sending it in for service. I sure hope someone's got some ideas. I did a Google search and tried a few things (removed battery, held down shutter button; removed card; etc). Sigh....what have I done???

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
When you got the camera did you get a manual with it?   If so, it is better to explore new features with the manual as a guide as it has advisories and warning baked into the documentation.   If you have not got one, then download it via this link: eos-rebelt6i-750d-im4-en.pdf (c-wss.com)  store it on your computer, tablet and or phone, and use it.  Being a PDF you can search for words and phrases as well as use the contents and index.

At this stage, I suggest removing the battery, SD card and lens (replace it with the body cap).  Leave the camera for a a day or so and replace them and see if the camera is then responding.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trecor, yes I had already downloaded both the regular and the NFC/wifi manuals.

I will try the suggestion. I have done that but only left the camera for a few hours. I'll go with some tougher love and leave it longer.

Well, I just left it for 3+ days. Re-assembled, no change. OMG what have I done?

MMcTO
Apprentice

I've been reading that Canons don't seem to like the mini cards in adaptors which is what this camera is currently using (I've never used them before--always used full-sized cards in my old XT). So, I'm thinking perhaps I should purchase a new full-size good quality card and try it. Problem is, with my current issue, I'm unable to format the card or anything. Is it a concern if I just buy the card and pop it in--see if it "wakes up" my camera?

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

You should also be able to insert a used full size SD card if you have one in working condition. Maybe try using a 32gb or smaller card if possible. It doesn't need to be formatted prior to insertion in your camera to at least possibly power it up.

If it boots up then you should format the card in the camera (assuming that you want to use that card in your camera) before doing any shooting. Remember that formatting will remove any and all files on that card. If buying a new card check the user manual for usable maximum capacity. Some older cameras don't work well with some of the "monster" cards available these days.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The camera can be powered without a lens attached or card inserted.  

Assuming you didn't buy a dud, the memory access LED staying lit is telling.  I'd suspect the micro SD with adapter first. Remove it and the lens and let us know the result?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements