cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i Becomes Unresponsive after shooting

Lusa
Apprentice

Hello Canon community.I have a T6i. I have not taken a lot of photos with my camera, although it is 2 years old. Here is the problem. After taking some pictures (it could be one picture or several pictures) the camera becomes unresponsive. The menu works and the focus works, but the live view does not function and it will not take pictures. After a few minutes, all camera functions are non-responsive with a black screen. Or the screen is on but everything is unresponsive. I have tried the clear settings several times. If I remove the battery and replace it, it will function again normally, even in continuous shooting mode, but will again become unresponsive as described above. Any suggestions besides returning to Canon, as they want at least $300 CAN to fix it?

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you tried a new battery? A new card full-sized SD card? You might try low-level formatting the current card.

Hello and thank you for the reply. I did reformat the card on my mac. What do you mean by full size SD card? It is a 32GB SD Extreme card. Not the micro kind but the normal size to fit in the camera. It is the same card I have been using for two years.

It is much better to do a low level format in the camera.

Also look in the battery compartment at the metal contacts and see if they are clean. You can try holding pressure on the battery door and see if the symptoms improve. If they improve then you probably have a battery contacts problem, By the way you can get a brand new T6i camera body for $389 ( less for working used) so giving Canon $300 or more to fix yours doesn't make good sense.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

^ What kvbarkley said...^

Plus... Are you using a genuine Canon Battery? Shooting with a genuine Canon lens? Do you have any software like Magic Lantern installed?

Sorry don't know what magic lantern is and don't even know how to install software on the camera. Actually, didn't know one could.

@Lusa wrote:

Sorry don't know what magic lantern is and don't even know how to install software on the camera. Actually, didn't know one could.

Magic Lantern is a package of third-party software that added or "unlocked" some new features on certain Canon camera models. Not sure if it even applies to the T6i, but not a Canon approved modification in any case. And not something designed to fix the current problem you're having with your T6i.

John_
Authority

I agree, if it were me I would try a new Canon battery yours has been sitting for 2 years and is most likely dead.

YEs we did get a new Canon Battery.

Announcements