cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i auto flash not working

det
Apprentice

My T5i auto flash has stopped working in every mode except CA.  It worked fine for a while but now this problem just appeared.  I have the 100-400 and 24-105 lenses and the same thing happens with both.  I upgraded the firmware but that did not help.  I really dont want to send this camera back to the factory though it is still under warranty...any thoughts?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Normally you have to pop-up the flash to enable it.  But the camera will raise the flash on it's own in some modes... CA, full auto (green box), and some of the scene-based modes such as portrait, close-up, and night-scene.  

In other modes it should not pop up on it's own, but if you press the button to raise the flash then the camera will use it (basically your decision to leave the flash down vs. pop the flash up tells the camera if you'd like to use it ... or not.)  You raise the flash by pressing the button that resembles a lightning bolt on the front of the camera located near the "EOS Rebel T5i" badge.

The built-in flash isn't nearly as powerful as some external flashes.  Subject distances should typically be within about 10' or so when using the built-in flash.  If you need to cover greater distances (as might be the case when using a 100-400mm lens) then you'd need an appropriate external flash.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim...appreciate the feedback.  The flash once worked on full auto but no more...only on CA, which makes me think something has gone bad.  I can activate it manually as you say but it will not pop up any longer on full auto.  I guess ill contact the service department tomorrow...dont really want to send the camera off but probably will after a couple of trips.  Thanks again, Don

det
Apprentice

I called Canon about this...turns out there was some gllitch where when the dial was in A+ mode the camera was in P mode...there was a disconnect between the dial and menu setting in other dial settings as well.  Sent the camera and they replaced something...not sure what but it works fine now.  Very disappoiinting to have a glitch in a new camera of this level but the good news is they fixed it promptly and I had it back in less than a week from sending it in.

I am having a similar problem.  How did they diagnose your glitch?  Did you have to send it back first?

Call Canon Support or Service.  They will instruct exactly how to get your camera fixed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I called them and described the problem.  They indicated the body would have to be returned, which I did, but it was repaired promptly and has been functioning normally since.

Announcements