cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Isn't accepting any memory card.

namesiwharas
Apprentice

Hello. I've had a T4i for over two years now. The camera has been completely unusable for more than 6 months beause it won't read any SD card I insert. I keep getting an error that says: card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change card or format card with camera. However, I have tried multiple cards and when I attempt to reformat I get this error: Cannot format. Change Card. I'm at my wits end and really can't afford to repair the camera. Is there anything else I can do?

17 REPLIES 17

For this specific body, full size cards still won't work. 

@maximvsv wrote:

For this specific body, full size cards still won't work. 

I assume that you are saying that full size SD cards, 32GB or smaller, do not work with this camera body.  If you have a card reader, try formatting one using a Windows PC.  Once formatted try to see if the camera accepts it.

If the above test fails, then it is likely that your card reader port in the camera is physically compromised in some way.  If one card works, then it is safe to assume that the electronics are good.  Check the slot carefully under a bright light for foreign debris within the card slot.

Due to the age of this camera body, I am uncertain if it is worth repairing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I formatted cards in the T4i body, on computers and in other cameras. The full size cards have ranged from 2GB-32GB. The microSD cards ranged from 8GB-32GB. The body will not format the full size cards at all, and it will only format the microSD cards if they are in that one Sandisk adapter.

Micro SD Adapter.jpgmaximvsv:  "...and full size SDcards..."

Presuming that the full sized cards you tried were 32 MB or smaller (SDHD), the problem is apparently not simply related to the use of micro adapters. 

Since you have had mechanical issues in the past (the cards not locking in place) there is a possibility that a contact, or contacts in the card socket have been mechanically damaged. 

Alternately, there is an electronic problem in the camera, but that diagnosis is complicated because you are finding that you can use a Micro-SD card in the one Sandisk specific adapter.  It's possible the adapter that works may have contacts that are slightly thicker than nominal for SD cards so makes contact while other "in spec" cards cannot.  Externally, after all, SD cards and SD adapters are molded plastic parts and will have physical variations in mechanical specs. 

The issue, and danger of using micro cards in an adapter is two-fold which is why it is not a recommended solution.  First, it introduces an additional set of tiny contacts in all of the signal paths, and second, depending on how well the particular micro card fits in the particular adapter, may result in a total combination thickness that is outside of the nominal expected specification. 

Using a mix of different brand micro cards in different brand adapters is risky and it's certainly possible that inserting an adapter with a tight-fitting micro card which was not full seated could damage the SD card socket's fragile contacts.

If after trying another full-sized SDHD card from a major manufacturer like SanDisk, Lexar, ProGrade or Sony, the card is still not recognized, than the camera will need to be serviced by a competent shop.  Don't be surprised if they need to replace the card socket assembly.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That makes no sense and without having it in hand it will be impossible to diagnose it. It will be up to you whether to repair it or replace it. Repair will likely be as much or more than a good working used T4i. There is nothing special about a SanDisk microSD adapter. Also micro SD cards are not recommend to be used in any Rebel camera at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree that it doesn't make sense. But that's the situation. And I am not about to take this Sandisk adapter apart to see how it is different from other Sandisk adapters.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"So far, it really is only this one adapter that will work with the camera."

Perhaps that adapter wrecked something in the T4i and that why they are not recommended for use. The bottom line is micro SD cards offer nothing in benefit and are a source of problems even when they are working.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I really doubt the internals of the T4i are damaged. If they were the micro-SD adapter would not work either. It uses the very same pins. The issue comes with the addition of unnecessary extra contacts and their associated problems.

If the micro-SD adapter is working just go ahead and use it which makes no sense.

Don't take it out. Use the USB to u/l to your computer. Otherwise repair or you may need to buy another camera.

EB
Announcements