cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Spot AF

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

One disappointing omission I find on the EOS R is Spot AF. It was present on my 7D and is there on the R5. I found it very useful when trying to pick out a wader half hidden by weeds (for example). I know there was a firmware update to add eye recognition but do you think Canon might add Spot AF in the future? Otherewise I may have to invest in an R5.

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If it's an important feature to you the R6 Mark II will have it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That really is odd because the RP has Spot AF.  

If you need an AF point that small, then it sounds like you are a little too far away to capture the shot.  Not every shot opportunity meets with success.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

That really is odd because the RP has Spot AF.  

If you need an AF point that small, then it sounds like you are a little too far away to capture the shot.  Not every shot opportunity meets with success.  

Independent of distance, the situation described by the OP frequently requires the small spot AF. 

"trying to pick out a wader half hidden by weeds (for example)."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Let’s wait for the OP to post a photo of the issue.

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

I know what you're saying Wadd but - I had a barn owl on a post some distance away with my 100-400 but the camera focussed on the post and not the owl. Only a very small change and not noticable until reviewed on PC. Had I had Spot AF the results would have been fantastic, 

Post the sample photo.  Which AF mode are you using?  Zone AF?

If a barn owl is sitting on top of a vertical post that is some distance away, then it should not have mattered if focus was locked on the post or the owl.  Both should have been captured by the DoF, anyway.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Why can't you use 1-point AF and point straight at the stationary bird?

Am I missing something about your shot/subject? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

Why can't you use 1-point AF and point straight at the stationary bird?

Am I missing something about your shot/subject? 

Exactly, my point.  Because he is too far away from the subject, IMHO.  

I wish the OP would post a sample photo.  I am curious to see how large the subject is.  It sounds like the issue is with picking out a bird sitting on a distant branch, but there is not a clear, unobstructed view of the bird.

Besides, there will always be some shots you will not be able to capture for one reason or another.  Being too far away is probably the most common reason.

BryanShaw1
Enthusiast

So you don't believe Spot AF is a worthwhile feature? Well OK but I do, and Canon obviously does too or they wouldn't have reintroduced it on the R5 and (as John points out) on the R6 /2. Firmware update please Canon. (and I'd like to post example photos but I always delete those I don't want to keep but I'll save them in future to show you what I'm talking about). Thanks for all your comments.

Announcements