cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Firmware update issue

pbrawls
Apprentice

I have an older T4i and I've never did a software update.  I downloaded the update and followed the instructions to update the camera.  However I keep getting the error message the camera cannot find the file.  I'm not sure what else to do.  I made sure the file was copied to the main folder and not the sub folders.  I also made sure to use a fresh full battery.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What version FW are you runnning now? (1.0.4)?

Barring some unknown hardware issue, the common reasons for FW upgrade failure are:

Corrupt File

File not placed in the "root" directory of the memory card

Card was formatted in another device, (not the camera).

Try downloding a fresh copy of the file 

After extracting the .zip. put "CCF13105.FIR" in the root directory of the card, not in a subfolder. 

Re-format the card in the camera, and then copy the file to the card without making changes.  Follow the steps outlined in the instructions.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Follow Shadow's instructions.  Format the card and then put the extracted file in the root directory.  And most importantly make sure that you start with a freshly charged battery in the camera, a power failure during a firmware update can "brick" the camera.  For the same reason I wouldn't use an AC adapter during these updates because that will be the one time you will experience a power glitch.

Canon normally provides a good explanation of what is changed in each firmware revision which allows you to decide whether you need to update.  Contrast that with a set of studio lights I bought last month which had a recommended firmware update but with absolutely no documentation as to what was being changed or why. 

And be happy that Canon isn't like Microsoft or your camera would start automatically updating during a shooting session rendering it temporarily useless or at least terminally slow 😞

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"And be happy that Canon isn't like Microsoft or your camera would start automatically updating during a shooting session rendering it temporarily useless or at least terminally slow Smiley Sad"

Rodger that Rodger. Smiley Very Happy  It seems like every time I turn this computer on MS is updating something.  If not the OS than Word or Outlook or etc, etc................

In reality most FW updates form Canon just include new lenses or the like.  Very little and few new features but sometime there is. Bug fixes for instance.  Just make sure you know what the FW is updating.  If it is something you don't need or use you don't need to do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If your camera was working as you wanted it to, you do not need to update the FW.  When you do a FW update you should have a reason to.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements