cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i -- only beeps -- started today....

thumper300zx
Contributor

I have had my T3i for just over a year. Conveniently, my warranty expired on 7/10/2013. I've never really had a problem with it. A couple times during this year, it would stop taking pictures. But turning it off for a bit and turning it back on solved it. Other than just those couple times, it's been rock solid.

Today I took about 500+ photos on a family outing. All the sudden I get this error, and I don't remember exactly what it was because I turned it off quickly to try to get it working again (time was of the essence) -- I believe it said something to the effect of "shooting is not possible due to an error, turn camera off and on again or re install battery" -- don't remember if there was a number code or what.

After it turned it off and back on, it now just gives me a quick beep (might be a quick double beep) no matter what button I press (and when I let go). It doesn't show anything on the LCD. Doesn't do any focusing. No warnings on the screen or view finder. Nothing. Just beeps.  I'm gonna leave it without a battery, lens, or memory card overnight to see if it recovers, but I'm not feeling to good about this. Any help appreciated. I tried reset tips like leaving out the battery and keeping the shutter button down for 30 seconds -- removing everything and trying a different battery, etc. Nothing seems to help. Very sad. Have loved this camera and it kaputs on me essentially immediately.

10 REPLIES 10

pjmacd
Enthusiast
I don't know what is wrong, but... You mention trying a different battery. Have you tried a different memory card? Also, did the camera get wet recently?

The camera never got wet. I was however near a Lake with decent humidity. It's now been almost 24 hours and I'm still getting the same error. SD Card out of the camera should not affect anything and it yields the same result with or without the SD Card. And yes, I have also tried other SD Cards. I've tried everything I know of. I'm afraid I'm SOL.

Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck!

very useful information. thanks a lot for this.

thanks

99thin

thumper300zx
Contributor

I contact Canon technical service. They said this close to the warranty, they would likely repair it under warranty service. So, I guess I'll now find out if the humid beach air got to it and I'm out of luck or if it was mere coincidence and they fix it. Crossing fingers!!! 🙂

It's great to hear they're taking care of you!

BTW, if you're concerned about humidity, buy some "dissicant bags" (a "dissicant" is any moisture-attracting material.  E.g. you might see mini versions of these if you open a bottle of vitamins.  They keep things dry.)

Dissicant can only absorb so much moisture BUT... MANY of these bags are reusable.  To reset them, they'll typically have you put the bags in the oven... e.g. maybe 15 minutes at 350 degrees (read the instructions) and this forces any water in them to bake off, resetting the dissicant pack so that it can absorb more moisture.  BE CAREFUL to read the instructions.  Not all bags are reusable... while the dissicant material itself is typically oven-safe, the pack that it's in may not be and you wouldn't want the bag to melt or catch fire.

The theory of the discciant packs is... if it's possible for moisture to get IN... then it's possible for the dissicant to pull it back OUT.  If you put the camera in a sealed bag with a few dissicant packs in it, the dissicant will dry the air in the bag to drop the humidity so very low, that ANY moisture in the camera would want to evaporate out into the air... where the dessicant will take care of it.

Keep the dissicant packs in a sealed plastic bag (otherwise they'll just try to absorb the moisture out of your humid beach air).  Then open the bag and put your camera inside when you're finished using it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks -- I am familiar with how dissicant bags work. My kids, 2 years ago, actually left my SX30IS out on the lawn over night and it got visited with a full sprinkler cycle. The air is so dry here things usually dry up very quickly. However, the damage had already been done as it shorted one component which I was able to replace and get it working again.

In this case with my T3i -- I'm at a loss. It didn't get wet, but we WERE at a lake -- and it wasn't just any lake, it's the Great Salt Lake...I just wonder if maybe somehow, salt dust and humidity combined to take my poor camera for a ride. I really don't know. It's the first time I've ever been to the lake despite being here for years. Everything gets salty -- probably the worse possible scenario for a sensitive camera. But, it also worked long enough to take 500 pictures before it decided to crap out -- so, I guess we'll let Canon take a look at it and decide if it's 'my fault' or not, and go from there. Hopefully they at least offer me some option here. The camera is in the mail so I guess I'll find out soon.

thumper300zx
Contributor

When I called the first time -- I tried to use their online warranty form. Didn't work because my camera is out of warranty and they said to CALL CANON, which I had already done. So, I called again, they said I'd have to use the out of warranty form (paper form). I sent in the camera and it arrived to them on Friday of last week. I called today without any reference number, they took my Zip code and customer info...found it was in INSPECTION (which she says come AFTER repair) and it should be coming back to me fixed. I then got the repair # in case I need to call again.

So -- it looks like they are going to honor the warranty 10 days expired! This rocks! 🙂

thumper300zx
Contributor

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

I got my camera back yesterday! And despite their explicit statement that warranty doesn't cover corossion, they said they found some power related connector connecting the battery to the camera was corroded and had been replaced.

Canon really came through for me on this. I'm very happy. My camera was 10 days out of warranty when I called, and additionally, between the time I bought my camera and now, Canon started giving 1 year warranty on refurb rather than 90 days, and apparently my warrany was advertised at 90 when I bought it.

Back to taking photos!!!

Announcements