cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i Best Vlog/Video Settings - Stopped Recording Automatically Error (under 5 minutes)

wrice4
Contributor

Hey guys, I just upgrade my Canon SX50 HS to a a Canon T3i camera with the kit lens, 18-55mm. I formatted the sd card, in the camera, and installed magic lantern + nightly build. My video settings currently are 1920X1080 @ 30fps. I am using a Scandisk Class 10 SDHC 32gb 30mb/s write speed; however, I just tried recording my first video and it shut off at 3 minutes and 30 seconds, saying the stopped recording automatically.

What are the best settings to record a vlog/video to have the best possible quality and to make it where my video(s) don't stop recording under 5 minutes of use? This is my first dslr so I am still learning and trying to figure this situation out on my own, but need some help with this.

P.S. I started a review channel, for youtube, and sit about 2 ft away from the camera. If I left anything out please let me know so I can tell you more.

 

 

Edit:

I have read up on this issue I am having. Seems like the 600D is limited to write speeds of 21mb/s so any SD Card write speed over that is fine, as it can not go any higher. Also, Shooting RAW video, with the t3i, can be the problem, as I should probably stick to just the L setting, but im not so sure. Still more researching to do.
 
Edit: The RAW video resolution was my problem, I think, but I have not tested it out. I have to bring down the resolution to 960x640 at 24fps, in order for the t3i to record in RAW.
10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend

I suggest that you start over from scratch, and eliminate possibilities.  Get rid of Magic Lantern, and reboot your camera back to its' original state.  Reformat your cards.  Let's start all over again, as if you never installed Magic Lantern, which WILL VOID your factory warranty.  Let's pretend like that never happened.  Reset the camera.

 

Why do you want the camera to record in RAW mode?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Waddizzle wrote:

I suggest that you start over from scratch, and eliminate possibilities.  Get rid of Magic Lantern, and reboot your camera back to its' original state.  Reformat your cards.  Let's start all over again, as if you never installed Magic Lantern, which WILL VOID your factory warranty.  Let's pretend like that never happened.  Reset the camera.

 

Why do you want the camera to record in RAW mode?


I don't disagree with your advice, but one thing has always puzzled me: Why will using Magic Lantern void the Canon factory warranty? My understanding is that ML makes no permanent change to the firmware and therefore doesn't prevent the camera from being returned to factory settings. Given that, how does the warranty prohibit using it?

 

There seems to be a range of views on the subject, with some asserting that there is no risk and others claiming only that there are various degrees of risk that some unspecified problem will arise that might put the warranty in jeopardy. Since you appear to place yourself at the pessimistic end of that range, this seems like the right time to ask the question.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I wouldn't say that I';m pessimisting about it.  I really do not know that much about all of its' features, but some of them seem to use the hardware in ways for which is what not designed.  

 

I have repaired electronics for decades.  A piece of equipment is designed to work within a given set of operationg parameters.  it is my understanding that some features of Magic Lantern push the envolope of the operating parameters.  I understand that there is a focusing feature that it adds to your camera, which seems to push the operating parameters.

 

Why is pushing the envelope a bad thing?  Because electronic components are designed to work under certain physical conditions.  One of those conditions is operating temperature.  Pushing the performance of a component can increase the amount of heat that it generates, which raises the operating temperature of the entire device, putting it at greater risk of overheating or component failure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Waddizzle wrote:

I wouldn't say that I';m pessimisting about it.  I really do not know that much about all of its' features, but some of them seem to use the hardware in ways for which is what not designed.  

 

I have repaired electronics for decades.  A piece of equipment is designed to work within a given set of operationg parameters.  it is my understanding that some features of Magic Lantern push the envolope of the operating parameters.  I understand that there is a focusing feature that it adds to your camera, which seems to push the operating parameters.

 

Why is pushing the envelope a bad thing?  Because electronic components are designed to work under certain physical conditions.  One of those conditions is operating temperature.  Pushing the performance of a component can increase the amount of heat that it generates, which raises the operating temperature of the entire device, putting it at greater risk of overheating or component failure.


I hear what you're saying, but that isn't the issue. The question is how/why does using ML void the warranty? Does the warranty prohibit ML specifically? Does it prohibit all card-resident software? Just software that poses a danger to the hardware? If so, how is that defined? You said that using ML "WILL VOID" the warranty. You apparently know something I don't, so I'm just trying to learn.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

How?  I think ML makes use of the hardware in ways that may exceed the design limitations of the camera's components.  You would have to read the fine print in the warranty, but unauthorized firmware is a valid reason to void the warranty on a new camera.  It would make no difference whether or not the 3rd party  firmware overwrites the Canon firmware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Waddizzle wrote:

How?  I think ML makes use of the hardware in ways that may exceed the design limitations of the camera's components.  You would have to read the fine print in the warranty, but unauthorized firmware is a valid reason to void the warranty on a new camera.  It would make no difference whether or not the 3rd party firmware overwrites the Canon firmware.


Well, I'm not a ML user, so I may or may not get around to digging out the warranty and reading it carefully. (And I'm not a lawyer, so my conclusion wouldn't mean much anyway.) So I guess the question still hangs out there: Does or does not use of Magic Lantern void the Canon warranty? Maybe it's time for a Canon Product Expert to weigh in?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Trust me.  We don't know someone wearing a Canon badge to tell us that using unauthorized firmware in the camera will void the warranty.  Imagine that you bought a new car, and installed an engine modification that increases the effective horsepower from the engine.  Do you think the car manufacturer will honor the warranty if you blow a piston?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You cannot void your warranty. Period. However, if using ML does something that damages the camera, let's say it causes the imaging sensor to get scorching hot and that causes banding on your images because you recorded several hours of 1080p video and it's designed to cut off every 12-ish minutes to let it get a few seconds of breathing time (this is all hypothetical, I assure you), and the fine folks at our Factory Service Center have to replace your imaging sensor, they're going to wonder what caused that kind of problem because our firmware has safeguards to prevent this. They'll document it very carefully. It most likely will be covered under the warranty, but if it happens multiple times, they'll catch on and charge you for a sensor replacement. Even under warranty. And imaging sensors are not cheap. 

 

Another tidbit: if there is any other evidence that the camera got way too hot and the internal firmware was circumvented to prevent the camera from shutting down - it won't be covered under warranty. Your warranty won't be voided, but that repair wouldn't be covered. 

 

We know ML is out there. We know people use it. We don't recommend it because our engineers haven't studied how it could affect your camera, so if you choose to use it, you do so at the risk of what could be a costly experiment!

 

We hope this helps to clarify some things! 


@Stephen the Moderator wrote:

[Explanation of Canon's attitude towards Magic Lantern]

 

We hope this helps to clarify some things! 


As I've said, I'm not a ML user, so I have no dog in this hunt. But your clear, concise clarification of Canon's position should be helpful to those who do. Thank you!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements
06/30/2022: Service Notice: EOS 70D: Error 70 or Error 80
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
03/22/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R5
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R6
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS-R3
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 300
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 500
12/2/2021: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for RF 70-200 F4 L IS USM