cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3 Viewfinder - Autofocus Points Blurry

nategesner
Apprentice

I recently noticed that the viewfinder AutoFocus points are blurry. These are the small dots surrounded by rectangles. The rectangles are sharp and the image is sharp when I focus on something. It is only the dots that are fuzzy. I tried two different lenses and they are both the same, but I just want to make sure this is normal.

I have owned the camera for 9 months and just noticed this, but now that I see it, I can't stop being distracted by it. UGH!

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

Are the numbers displayed in the viewfinder blurry as well?  It's probably just the diopter adjustment.  There's a small wheel next to the viewfinder that can adjust the focus for those with impared vision (so you don't have to use glasses).  Just move it back to the center position.

No, everything is focused in the viewfinder except for the dots. I've swapped lenses, adjusted the diopter, etc. Everything looks good except the dots, so I'm starting to think it is by design.

Odd.  I've never heard of that problem, but looks like others have reported similar issues.  It's the camera, and it's not intentional.  Most likely the focus screen is slightly misaligned.  I'm curious to have a look at my 450D, this seems like the type of thing that I would totally overlook.

Found some threads on another forum where some were able to fix it by pulling out the focus screen and putting it back in place.  Others replaced it with a new screen entirely.  If it's under warranty you have to consider your options, but I'm assuming that it's not covered anymore.

It's a distraction, but not one worth taking something apart and trying to fix on my own. And it's not under warranty. Thanks for the responses.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements