cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2i Won't Power Up

webcanon
Contributor

Hi

I purchased my T2i in Oct 2010 and it's been working great. Recently (last 2 weeks) It's having issue powering up.

I've attempted to power it up with/without a memory card, with/without a lens and with a different working battery.

I've looked at the Canon repair option, but they no longer provide the service for my model.

Any help appreciated.

Thank You

12 REPLIES 12

Stephen

Hi webcanon!

Good news! The EOS Rebel T2i is still being serviced by Canon! Check out the following link for your service options: 

http://bit.ly/CanonRepairs

We hope this helps!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are a few microswitches on the camera body which have to be engaged.  One detects if the memory card door is open.  Another detects if the battery door is open.  If these are not engaged then the camera wont power up.

The battery door switch is engaged by a tab on the door (when the door closes, the tab presses the switch to indicate the door is closed.)  Make sure the tab isn't damaged.

The memory door switch engages when the door is closed and slide forward in it's locked position. 

I have heard of poeple breaking the tab (not realizing it pressed the switch).  The door is easily replaced (the door unclips from the camera so you can slide in a battery grip - instructions in the manual show how to do this.)  

These are the only external causes I can think of (with the battery door being the most probable... but also the easiest to fix.)  For anything else it will probably need Canon repair.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, taking a closer look at them now.

doctorice
Apprentice

Hey,

Did you ever get your T2i to power up?  Im having the same problem with my t2i.  It was working when I last used it.  Then it refused to power up one month later. New battery did not change anything. Door tabs look fine. Please help

Hello doctorice,

Given the information you provided, it would be in the camera's best interests to be seen at our Factory Service Center.  To set up a repair for your model, please use the web site below to arrange service for your EOS Rebel T2i. 

Canon Service and Support for EOS Rebel T2i

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Cheryl1
Apprentice

Just wanted to say thank you to all who posted in the forum and this tread in particular over the years.  This completely fixed my problem tonight.  Saved me a ton compared to taking it in for repair.  Thank you.

Cheryl,

May I ask what you did to correct the issue with your camera. Mine seems to have the same issue (will not power up) and I've tried just about everything.

Thanks

Jeff

Cheryl,

May I ask what you did to correct the issue with your camera. Mine seems to have the same issue (will not power up) and I've tried just about everything.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi, I followed the suggestions in message three in this thread. I unfolded a paper clip and just literally swiped it back and forth in both slots. I would swipe,then out the battery and memory card back in. If it didn't turn on, I took them out and did it again. It took about three times. Good luck. I was so relieved when it worked. 

Announcements