cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stain viewfinder canon R6 MK II

SPedro31
Apprentice

Hello everyone, I found this stain on the outside of my viewfinder, canon r6 mark II. Does anyone know what it could be and how I can resolve it? Thanks.

IMG_0156.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
What I would suggest is using a cloth impregnated with lens cleaner (isopropyl alcohol)  - don't put the liquid directly on the lens, and wash the surface of the viewfinder lens.  If could be caused by a contaminant brought to the surface when someone was looking at through it.  I have heard of  perspiration, sun screen, moisturizer, makeup and medical creams ending up there.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you very much for your help, I already tested it but it didn't work 🥲

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Under what circumstances did this occur? What were you doing just before you noticed it?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

TomRamsey
Contributor

Is that on the outside or inside, it might help to view it with a flashlight in a darkened room, using different angle to try to see it.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I had the same thought. To me, it looks like it's on the inside. If you tried to clean this off with alcohol, and it had no effect, I'd look elsewhere.

Could this be the result of overheating somehow? Or a laser beam?

Steve Thomas

Scarabesh
Apprentice

judging by the Photo, those look like scratches to me. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I cannot tell from the image, but I hope that's sebum and sweat.  If you cannot wipe that away with a lightly dampened cloth (water), the finish on the viewfinder is damaged.  I've never seen this happen on its own.  Its seems to be the result of using harsh chemicals, sun screen, excessive pH perspiration, a dirty cloth, excessive rubbing, etc.

The only time I've heard of this happening (spontaneously) is on the front element of the RF 28-70 f2.  The delaminating thing.  I don't know if this is environmental or something else.  I've never had a finish delaminate myself.

Macs also have the most delicate (worst) cheap screen finishes I've ever seen.  I've deployed hundreds of them only to see them come back in 3 -12 months with this cloudy breakdown of the screens finish.  Its always the result of using the wrong chemical or technique.

What I use.  For camera body and lens exterior I use diluted simple green or organic cleaner.  If I'm super desperate, diluted windex (sparingly, only external).  I wash my hands before holding and using my camera.  No hand lotion or creams.  No greasy finger foods if I'm going to be handling my camera.  For lens glass, rocket blower, lens pad or brush.  I use clear filters, so I never have to clean the front element.  Damp cloth for the front filter, and follow with a lens cloth.  Hope it works out for you. 😃     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I'm betting its external.  The part should be replaceable.  There are 2 screws on the bottom.  It won't be inexpensive, but its not the end of the world to have it replaced.  For the DIY'ers out there.  Please note that most camera screws are cross-point, not phillips. 😉  Its safest to have Canon repair your product.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements