cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social media video aspect ratio support for EOS R3

DBounce
Apprentice

Many social media platforms are using aspect ratios outside of 17:9 and 16:9. As this is 2022, I am requesting that Canon gives us the option to shoot in 4:3, 3:2 and 1:1 for video utilizing the full height of the sensor. This would mean that on cameras such as the Eos R3 which is limited to 24MP we could achieve maximum video quality. This should be literally just a firmware update to unlock this feature.

I will confess to being a bit annoyed that the $6,000 Canon EOS R3 has such limitations. Additionally, I’m hoping that a UVC mode can be enable via firmware so that the camera can act as a native webcam for streaming. 

Two easy fixes that would greatly enhance the usability of this camera.

3 REPLIES 3

GeanWaiter
Apprentice

Hey! I wonder if there's any update

TyrellLawrence
Apprentice

Understandably, you're frustrated with the current limitations of the Canon EOS R3 and the aspect ratio support for social media videos. I hope that Canon considers your feedback and suggestions in future updates. I would also liek to have such a feature, as I make videos for TikTok and even buy TikTok video shares to promote them. So yeah, it would be beneficial!

DBounce
Apprentice

Me too, after using a Fujifilm XH2S for a few days, I can tell you it’s wonderful to use the whole sensor and then have the option to crop to a suitable format in post. You can still shoot 16:9, but the added flexibility of opengate is wonderful.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements