cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartphone app to control Canon T5i IR remote

dillonkor
Apprentice

Hello! I have tried two apps on Google Play, DSLR Remote and Camera Remote apps. However, I can't get them to work with my Canon T5i for remote control for shutter / self-timer.  This will be amazingly useful if it can work. Can anybody help? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am using Camera Remote v. 2.3.2 from the Google Play on my Galaxy Note 4. It has manual trigger, noise trigger and timer/bulb trigger. It works great for me! Just be sure to turn on the feature in your camera as described in the previous post. Also, be sure that you point that transmitter directly at your camera as it requires line of sight to operate correctly.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Did you make sure you put the T5i into a mode to recognize IR remotes?

You'll need to go into the "Drive" options (that's where you get to choose things like single shot, continuous shooting, 2 second delay timer, 10 second delay timer, etc. and you'll notice that some of the choices have a tiny remote icon.  The camera has to be in one of those modes that shows the remote to enable the IR sensor on the camera body.

Also, your phone would require the correct IR emitter to trigger the camera.  There ARE physical devices that you can buy which communicate with the phone via Bluetooth, but they have the correct IR emitter to trigger the camera.

You can also use a wired (physical cable) shutter release and you can use the USB port to "tether" the camera to a computer to remotely control it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

dillonkor
Apprentice
Yes I did ensure that my camera is on the remote mode in self-timer options.

And I have Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, which had an IR emitter.

I am using Camera Remote v. 2.3.2 from the Google Play on my Galaxy Note 4. It has manual trigger, noise trigger and timer/bulb trigger. It works great for me! Just be sure to turn on the feature in your camera as described in the previous post. Also, be sure that you point that transmitter directly at your camera as it requires line of sight to operate correctly.  

There seems to be multiple apps named "camera remote" Which specific app have you tried and worked on T5i?

The app is called "Camera Remote Control (DSLR)"

By Dev Null Photography [links disabled per forum guidelines]

... I will try others as well to see which is best

I finally got it to work. The problem was actually something else. I had set the mode to remote setting/self-timer, but the camera mode dial was not set as automatic. From what I can tell, the camera mode dial has to be set on automatic (not something like manual) for the app to work as a remote. Your confirmation that the app works on this device led me to try different things and figure out the problem. Thank you!

I'm glad you got it it to work for you, but It shouldn't be limited to working in "Auto" mode. I found It works work in most modes including the Creative modes. Be sure select the "Self-timer: 10sec/ remote" setting. Just keep experimenting and enjoy!  

Announcements