cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small file size on pictures from EOS R6 Mark II

cjsull
Apprentice

Hello, I have a new Canon that I'm trying to figure out after using a Nikon D3400 for years.  When I compare the pictures I took with the Nikon, they are migh MB.  I had the Canon set on the lighest JPG setting, and the pictures were coming out with only a third of the MBs.  Yes, the color is nice, but it's hard to print larger pictures.  This is driving me crazy, since I saved up for a year to buy this thing.  I have changed it to Raw, but not sure if I still have to go through a stupid third party to convert them to use.  I should add that I now have Lightroom, so maybe it's just something that hasn't been explained to me yet.  I would really appreciate any insight you can give me!!  I had my old camera figured out so well, and this one is starting to get very frustrating.  
Thanks!!

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Just be clear on what your issues, are you talking about the JPG file size in MB?

There are a lot of factors that can go into the final file size of JPG, beginning with image sensor resolution and what file format that you have selected for storing images.  Without knowing anything about your storage settings, there is not much advice we can offer to you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, I’m sorry.  I typed wrong.  I had it set on the highest JPG setting, but the output seemed low.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by "I had the Canon set on the lighest JPG setting"? For the best JPG images, you want the largest JPG setting. Why is it hard to print larger pictures. What exactly are you experiencing when printing?

I’m sorry, I typed wrong.  I had it on the highest setting, but the output seemed low.  And I wanted to print up one of the pictures in a bigger size, but there wasn’t enough MBs to allow it.  That’s when I discovered the issue.  It’s the first time I’ve tried to order pics taken with my new camera.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

How many megabytes are you seeing in your JPG file and how large of a print are you trying to get? 

Seems you are confusing file size with resolution. Don’t concern yourself with the file size. If needing very detailed prints, capture in the highest possible resolution.  It won’t matter if the file size will be small, medium or large. The resolution of your images will be the same.

There are numerous factors that will drive file size. Very detailed and noisy images will typically drive file sizes higher. But again, the resolution is the same.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Anonymous
Not applicable

The manual shows approximately 8.2 MB for a large JPG picture file for your camera, although this will depend on many factors.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
As with my other colleagues, I think you should not worry about the file size as reported by the OS.  Various makers make their compression algorithms read differently, as has been said already, the issue is the resolution. Furthermore, as they agree, the actual content of the image will hugely impact on the file size.  An image with a very plain content will have a much lower file size than one with a lot of complex shapes, shadows and colours.

By the way, I strongly recommend that you do shoot in RAW - save in hi-res JPG as well if you like.  You should have no issue importing the images into Lightroom if it is up to date and you will get far more flexibility for editing and printing.  You can export the results as a Hi-Res JPG file.

The R6II is a great camera, I have one and shoot with it, the performance of the sensor, focus and tracking systems are superb and the rest is up to the lenses you use and your skills as a photographer.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

The R6II is a great camera, I have one and shoot with it, the performance of the sensor, focus and tracking systems are superb and the rest is up to the lenses you use and your skills as a photographer.

That is an understatement.  The R6 Mark II is a truly fantastic body.  I have discovered new found love for my old Sigma 150-600mm C.  My EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is outperforming itself on the MILC body, too.

I upgraded because my current DSLRs will reach their EOL within a year or two.  My 1D4 was retired years ago.  In fact, with the exception of the 90D and 1Dx Mk III, all Canon DSLRs will reach the end of their service life in next the 3-4 years, if not sooner for some models.

The R6 Mark II with battery grip is a beast of a camera body.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements