cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small file size on pictures from EOS R6 Mark II

cjsull
Apprentice

Hello, I have a new Canon that I'm trying to figure out after using a Nikon D3400 for years.  When I compare the pictures I took with the Nikon, they are migh MB.  I had the Canon set on the lighest JPG setting, and the pictures were coming out with only a third of the MBs.  Yes, the color is nice, but it's hard to print larger pictures.  This is driving me crazy, since I saved up for a year to buy this thing.  I have changed it to Raw, but not sure if I still have to go through a stupid third party to convert them to use.  I should add that I now have Lightroom, so maybe it's just something that hasn't been explained to me yet.  I would really appreciate any insight you can give me!!  I had my old camera figured out so well, and this one is starting to get very frustrating.  
Thanks!!

14 REPLIES 14

Right with you there Bill! 😀

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes, I did.  Also at youtube videos and searching here.  Then I realized I was missing something.

I appreciate the help, and I think they are correct in not only using raw, but also learning more about how this type of camera works.  

You might want to check out a  You Tube video by Michael the Maven at this link:

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

You haven't mentioned what lens you're using, which can make a difference.  If you're using an EF or RF lens, then your camera should be delivering full resolution -- your pictures should be 6000 x 4000 pixels, and printing should not be an issue.

But if your lens is EF-S or RF-S, then the camera will go into crop mode (it has to, because those lenses only cover a smaller part of your sensor), and your images will be more like 3744 x 2496 pixels.  This would obviously make the files smaller.  You should still be able to get decent prints, but not as good.

Other than that, as others have pointed out, the file size in MB is not critical; and if you're concerned about getting the best quality, shoot in RAW.   RAW gives you more bits per pixel, which can matter more than the number of pixels.

BTW when you say "I wanted to print up one of the pictures in a bigger size, but there wasn’t enough MBs to allow it" -- it does sound like you're confusing MB, megabytes, or file size -- with pixels.  Those are different, though not completely unrelated, things.

If you want to know more about lens compatibility, I wrote an article about it: https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear/lenses

Thanks for they link Atticus, your article looks very comprehensive!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements