cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter delay

Cory1989
Apprentice
I've recently bought an EOS Rebel XS and it has worked great for me over the last few months but recently it has started giving me trouble with an inconsistent shutter delay. Sometimes 2-3 seconds, sometimes none at all. I like to shoot photography of Motorsports so this is very inconvenient. I'm sure it's not set for a shutter delay and it is on automatic. Can you help please?
5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

Describe the situation.  Are you taking multiple photos at once, or just one (when you get the delay)?  What shooting mode? What AF mode?  How long are your exposures? 

It could be things like mirror lockup or long exposure noise reduction, or perhaps it's just struggling to find focus. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do a reset to factory default and clear all settings. Give it another try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Cory1989
Apprentice
How do I do a reset on a EOS Rebel XS? I bought it used and don't have a manual.

It is doing it on single shot, no delay, full auto setting and no flash setting.

@Cory1989 wrote:
How do I do a reset on a EOS Rebel XS? I bought it used and don't have a manual.

It is doing it on single shot, no delay, full auto setting and no flash setting.

Here's your manual: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_re...

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
If you are using the default "one shot" shooting mode then the delay is likely caused by the camera's inability to lock focus on a rapidly moving subject (especially if lighting conditions are poor.)

For conditions where the distance from camera to subject is changing, you want to switch to "AI Servo" focus mode (which continuously adjusts focus.) That focus mode WILL take the shot instantly when you fully press the shutter (no matter what). But be warned... it will do this EVEN if it hasn't achieved focus.

Some lenses such as the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 or EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 or EF 75-300mm lenses that don't use the USM (or even STM) focus motors may have difficulty focusing quickly enough (the focus motors are not very fast). By the time the focus motor moves the lens to the new focus distance, the subject has changed distance. Lenses that use USM focus motors will tend to be the fastest to lock focus (but it varies from lens to lens. Some USM lenses are noticeable faster than others.)
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements