cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Speed vs Screen Darkness

CassiLynne20
Contributor

I'm still very new to cameras, and I have a Rebel T5. When I get my shutter speed up, my photos are so much darker they're practically black. I know this has something to do with the light getting in, but I don't know how to fix it right in the settings. I've played around with it best I can figure, but don't know how to fix it. Even with a SUPER bright flash, it still looks black at the higher shutter speeds.

Please help.

Thanks! 

20 REPLIES 20

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you are learning put camera in Green Square mode.

Look at the settings the camera selects.

Check some tutorials on YouTube.

If you are going to select your own settings be sure the exposure meter in the viewfinder is in the middle.

Compare setting in Green Square to your setting. Adjust as necessary.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I've tried altering all other settings while it's on the higher shutter speeds, and sometimes it looks *slightly* less dark, but far from acceptable? Even the lightest one seems to be FAR too dark. So.. Leaves me to wonder if it's a faulty camera (I'd bought it used) or if I've just got the settings wrong.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It sounds like you’re shotgunning settings without being sure what you’re doing v

Please put it on Green Square and go outside in daylight and take a picture.

If that doesn’t produce a good image then you may have a defective camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Take a look at the YouTube videos from Canon's Digital Learning Center.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

The EOS 101 series in the first post is a great introduction to the basics of photography.  You will want to watch them more than once.  The crucial concepts to understand are " Exposure Triangle " and " Depth of Field ".

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
It sounds like you’re shotgunning settings without being sure what you’re doing v

Please put it on Green Square and go outside in daylight and take a picture.

If that doesn’t produce a good image then you may have a defective camera.

In GS mode a singular photo comes out just fine. I'm only having the issue when I turn the shutter speed up higher than 400.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
What mode are you in when you are adjusting shutter speed?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since you are getting proper images in Green Square your camera is functioning properly.

Try this:

1. Put camera in Green Square and take a photo. Check the setings ISO, shutter and aperture.

2. Switch camera to Program (P) mode. The settings should be the same.

GS and P use the same camera logic program. GS just disables a number of things you can chnage to be sure you get a proper image.

3. In "P", rotate the Main Dial next to the shutter button, You will see as one setting is changed (camera is usually setup to change the shutter speed with that dial) the other settings change accordingly to maintain correct exposure. You will also see the pointer in the righthand side of the viewfinder staying at the middle point because the program in the camera works to maintain correct exposure.

4. If you start moving things in Manaul (M) there is no longer a linkage. You can set shutter, perture and ISO anywhere you want independently. Tha's why you need to wtch where the pointer is and adjust appropriately.

Annotation 2019-11-19 064729.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Since you are getting proper images in Green Square your camera is functioning properly.

Try this:

1. Put camera in Green Square and take a photo. Check the setings ISO, shutter and aperture.

2. Switch camera to Program (P) mode. The settings should be the same.

GS and P use the same camera logic program. GS just disables a number of things you can chnage to be sure you get a proper image.

3. In "P", rotate the Main Dial next to the shutter button, You will see as one setting is changed (camera is usually setup to change the shutter speed with that dial) the other settings change accordingly to maintain correct exposure. You will also see the pointer in the righthand side of the viewfinder staying at the middle point because the program in the camera works to maintain correct exposure.

4. If you start moving things in Manaul (M) there is no longer a linkage. You can set shutter, perture and ISO anywhere you want independently. Tha's why you need to wtch where the pointer is and adjust appropriately.

Annotation 2019-11-19 064729.jpg

With GS and P the shutter is still so slow that it's basically only taking one photo (1/50) and I can't adjust that. So I swap to M and I've tried just about every combination for SS, Aperture, ISO, and Exposure and sometimes they're not as bad, but sometimes it's just flat our black even when pointed directly towards a bright light. That's why I suspected it might be an issue with the camera on the higher shutter speeds.

I don't understand what you mean by "takes only one photo". If you are in One Shot mode the camera will take one photo each time you press shutter button regardless of shutter speed.

If the shutter speed is that low in P it probably means that the lens is wide open and the ISO is at max.

When in P record shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Then dial those in Manual. You should get the same result in GS, P and M.

When you record them report back what they are.

One thing - just to be sure all is set well, go to the Menu and clear all camera settings and custom settings.

Annotation 2019-11-19 110411.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements