cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen R5

Fletch581
Apprentice

Hey friends, 

Bad news... My trusty R5 got swiped on a train. I have it registered on the canon website. I'm curious if anyone has any insight regarding how to use the serial number to potentially track where the camera is? Someone mentioned using the metadata to track where the camera is being used. Any information would be awesome. Thanks so much

3 REPLIES 3

ctitanic
Rising Star

Did you report the case with the police including the SN? That would be the first step, lets say that they are working in a case where they confiscate what they may believe are stolen goods. If they have an open case they may contact you about your camera.

The may problem is that most of the cases opened are localized meaning, if the camera was recovered in a different county most likely they will not know about your case.

Using the SN to track is hard because most Social sites do not allow or show the EXIF information, you have to be lucky enough to have pictures of your camera posted at Flickr.

But I stick to my first comment, report the case to the police including the SN in your report.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I would say it's gone. Thieves are smart and won't fence stolen items in the same town. It will be in another place, miles from you.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

March411
Rising Star

I can't offer any suggestions but wanted to say that I am very sorry that your camera was boosted, that is a shame.

It may be covered under a homeowners or rental insurance policy if you have one.

R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards
Announcements