cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL3 Multiple Flashes

LCJG
Apprentice

I have an SL3 that I'm using for product photography,  I would like to purchase (2) EL-100 to go with this.

I have two questions stemming from this;

1.) how do I get these to work simultaneously (would a single transmitter work)?

2.) Is the EL-100 a good flash to use for this application?

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Hello LCJG welcome to the forums. Are you intending to use both of these speedlites off camera as receiver units. Or is 1 speedlite going to be on the camera as a sender unit. Your camera's built in flash doesn't support being a sender in an optical wireless flash setup. Canon uses both optical transmission and radio transmission for wireless flash. The speedlites you're looking at only support the older optical transmission system. They work off of line of site. Radio transmission doesn't need line of site to work. Also are low light conditions conditions a concern. The EL-100's AF Assist Beam doesn't work with wireless flash photography. Canon offers the ST-E2 optical transmitter. Or you can use any speedlite capable of sender capabilities. Such as the 580EX II, 600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT or the EL-1. Any of Canon's speedlite or transmitter products that say "RT" in the name. Support radio transmission. Except for the EL-1 speedlite which supports it. 

• Yes you only need one transmitter.
  • Yes the speedlites should work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you for your informative answer! I'm hoping you can help me a little further as I mostly understood what you are telling me but I am still a little unsure of what I should be ordering and I also need to make sure I am not overspending. I take photos of artwork, books and ephemera and low light can definitely be a concern. I intend to take my photos from an overhead position with the subject being on the floor, I was hoping to use 2 remote flash (on the left and right of the subject) to ensure the most balanced light possible. I will also be using a single remote flash for smaller subjects. Any suggestions for how to obtain this without breaking the bank would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Lee

Do you have a budget to spend on speedlites and transmitters. If so what is your budget for theses items. When it comes to AF Assist Beams with Canon's speedlites. You have 2 choices IR (red AF Assist grid it's not actually IR. Its visible red light) or Intermittent flash (disco flash same as what the built flash uses). I forgot to mention in the last post the Canon Speedlite EL-5 IS NOT Compatible with your camera. It uses a different type of hot shoe that certain EOS R series cameras use. This speedlite DOES support radio transmission but NOT optical transmission.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
click here to view the gallery
Announcements