cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL3 Geotagging question

JJCLAYBORN
Apprentice

Hi everyone, I have a question. I recently bought an SL3 because I wanted to get into DSLR cameras and it seemed like a good starting point. Having a camera that did both photos and UHD videos was important for me, so the SL3 seemed like a great choice. And the Canon Connect app is awesome. But Ive noticed that geotagging photos with the SL3 is a problem. In the Canon Connect App it seems like there is a way to use my phone's GPS, but it doesn't work (or Im doing it wrong). It also doesnt seem to support using the GP-E2. My question is this: is there any way to geotag photos on this camera? It doesnt matter if its an app I have to buy or a third party piece of hardware, this is pretty important. Its a mark against what is otherwise a fantastic entry level camera that Ive grown quite fond of otherwise. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Knowledge Base - Bluetooth Connection Setup on the Canon EOS SL3

If these instructions don't work give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON for support.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hello JJCLAYBORN welcome to the forums. The Rebel SL3 DOES NOT support geotagging by itself. Unlike higher end cameras such as the 5D Mark IV, 6D Mark II and the 7D Mark II.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hi, thanks for the reply. I stated in my post that I know that the SL3 doesn't have a built in GPS. Im looking for external solutions that can be connected to the camera to supplement this. 

EDIT: I was able to figure out how to pair my smartphone to the camera and import GPS from that. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Knowledge Base - Bluetooth Connection Setup on the Canon EOS SL3

If these instructions don't work give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON for support.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

This worked! Thanks. 

The trick was to connect the phone to the app first, then go into the camera's GPS and select the phone. Test photos now have the GPS details embedded. 

FilmCanister
Enthusiast

I'm in the market for a camera and I want to be able to geotag photos as well. I haven't tried this yet, but my understanding is that for a camera without built in GPS, an app like "Geotag Photos Pro 2" or a stand alone GPS tracker is the way to go. You match GPS data by timestamps in the images and the GPS tracklog with Lightroom or similar software. The benefit to a standalone GPS unit is that unlike a phone app, you don’t have to worry about it tracking you other times with its background location permission. As I said, I haven't tried this yet, but hopefully this puts you on the right track.

Hi Film Caster, 

I was able to get the GPS working with the Canon Connect app, which uses my phone's location. After posting this question I did find a blog post where a guy was demonstrating that the GP-E2 standalone hardware GPS unit also does in fact work with this camera, if you want to go that route. The unit is about $300, so thats a consideration. 

On a Mac, houdahgeo works really well.

Announcements