cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD error message

harrr01
Apprentice

I just got back from Fl and took out my 128 GB SanDisk from my Canon 80D.  When I put it in my computer I'm getting a error message of "You need to format the disk in drive "F" before you can use it.  I put it back in my camera to see if I can see the pictures and I get a message of "Card cannot be accessed/change the card or format card with camera.  Before I took the SD card out I could see the pictures on my camera but now I can't.  Is there a way to get my pictures of the SD card or are these lost?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It sounds like a potential card failure, to me.  Is this a full size SD card?  The micro-SD cards are not recommended for use any brand of DSLR that I am aware of.  If you do have a micro-SD card with an adapter, then you might try a different adapter and cross your fingers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's a full size SD card.

Jody2
Apprentice

Oh dear.  I had this problem too when I returned from Europe, with a memory card containing all my photos of Prague.  One thing I did do that I was happy about was to go to a photo shop halfway through my trip and get them to put all my photos onto a flash drive that they supplied.  So not all my photos were at risk.

The cards can become corrupted.  I found a program online that I was able to download and rescue most (around 95% or more) of my photos from the card.  Some have missing parts and some have weird lines across but I was glad not to lose the whole lot.

i think the program I used was called Recuva.  You may need to check out a few.  One I used would not even recognise my card. I think I paid around $5 once I tried the free trial to unlock full features, but it was a bargain, as it was a once in a lifetime trip.  

I just had a wild thought.  Did your camera gear bag go through an x-ray machine,with the memory cards still inside of the camera?

At least SanDisk and Angelbird SD cards are immune to x-rays (I imagine other brands may be as well).  SanDisk also lists their cards as being immune to magnetic fields. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

At least SanDisk and Angelbird SD cards are immune to x-rays (I imagine other brands may be as well).  SanDisk also lists their cards as being immune to magnetic fields. 

I wonder if that immunity to magnetic fields includes magnetometers, better known as a walk through metal detector.

No, we drove so no x-ray machine.  

Thanks for the information.  I will give it a try.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Glad things turned out OK. I use SanDisk or Lexar cards.

A bit off topic but it pays to know your equipment and accessories as memory cards which can be affected by magnetic fields. Thanks for the info.

Heard of a fellow who went on a photo safari in Africa when cameras had film. Shot hundreds of feet of film. Got the film developed. Blank! Didn't know to take off the lens cover!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements