cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring in photos - 6D Mark II

Dugan1979
Apprentice

Hello!  I am new to the Canon world.  I recently bought a 6D Mark II.  I got two lenses to start me off, both used.  A canon macro, which works great, and a Tamron 18-200mm aspherical lens.  I went out today to test the Tamron and all of my photos have a ring to them.  I can't figure it out.  As I zoom in the ring lessens, but it is still there.  What am I missing?  Any help would be really appreciated.  As I said I am new to Canon and would really like to get the most out of the camera.Example.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Peter
Authority
Authority

It seems like your lens is made for smaller APS-C sensors like those in 60D or 600D. Mounting a lens designed for APS-C on a full frame DSLR is not a good idea due to the risk of hiting the mirror in the camera.

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

This isn't a Canon issue. It is a case of a lens designed to cover a crop sensor being used on a full-frame camera. The "image circle" of the crop-sensor-designed lens does not fill the frame of your 6D, so you see the circle. You don't say where you got the Tamron, but if you can return it, do so.

You need to AVOID lenses designed for APS-C camera bodies. In Canon parlance, it means you need EF lenses, NOT EF-S lenses. Actually, EF-S lenses won't even mount on your 6D.  With other brands of lenses, you have to know what you are buying. Tamron, Sigma etc. will tell you what body type a lens is made for.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Peter
Authority
Authority

It seems like your lens is made for smaller APS-C sensors like those in 60D or 600D. Mounting a lens designed for APS-C on a full frame DSLR is not a good idea due to the risk of hiting the mirror in the camera.

normadel
Authority
Authority

This isn't a Canon issue. It is a case of a lens designed to cover a crop sensor being used on a full-frame camera. The "image circle" of the crop-sensor-designed lens does not fill the frame of your 6D, so you see the circle. You don't say where you got the Tamron, but if you can return it, do so.

You need to AVOID lenses designed for APS-C camera bodies. In Canon parlance, it means you need EF lenses, NOT EF-S lenses. Actually, EF-S lenses won't even mount on your 6D.  With other brands of lenses, you have to know what you are buying. Tamron, Sigma etc. will tell you what body type a lens is made for.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Dugan1979,

Both Peter and Normadel are correct.  The Tamron 18- 200 is an APS-C lens.  Besides all of your pictures looking like they have a paper towel roll on them, you might damage your camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Actually 3rd Party APS-C lenses for Canon DO NOT protrude into the camera body like an EF-S lens does. All 3rd Party APS-C lenses are designed for the original Full Frame EF Mount not the EF-S Mount. If they did design their like Canon did. They would have to completely redesign their lenses to protrude into the camera body. Full Frame EF lenses don't protrude into the camera body like EF-S lenses do. So lenses are designed for the EF Mount NOT the EF-S Mount. Also EF-S lenses are designed specifically not to mount on a Full Frame camera. Its not the camera that prevents those lenses from mounting on the body. In fact I can't even mount my mom's EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II lens on my dad's old EOS 650 (35mm film camera). It physically won't mount. Even though the camera was released way before EF-S lenses were first released in 2003.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I had the same issue with my T7 and a lens shade. Certain lens settings brought the lens shade into the photo. I had to take it off for close photos or lengthen the mm setting on the lens.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements