Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rick Sammons on the M5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/sammon-eos-m5.shtml

Almost makes me wish I had not gotten my T6S.

He really, really likes the touch screen.

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kvbarkley wrote:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/sammon-eos-m5.shtml

Almost makes me wish I had not gotten my T6S.

He really, really likes the touch screen.

I like my M3, and the M5 sounds even better.  My only knock against the M Series are the small batteries, and the narrow choice of current lenses.  I use it with a Rokinon 14mm, which uses no power, and the camera is GREAT.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Almost makes me wish I had not gotten my T6S."

Mx not ready for prime time.  The M5 may be the best of this series but that don't make the good!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Mx not ready for prime time.  The M5 may be the best of this series but that don't make the good!

I guess I'd have to agree. But at least the M5 shows that Canon is getting serious about the M product line. With a more powerful battery and a few other tweaks, the next model could be a pretty decent camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

I have to agree whole heartily.  I actually considered one to replace my G1x. But actually using one you quickly find how lacking it is.  No real reason to choose it over my G1x.

EB

B from B,

It is like Canon thought, maybe we should make one of these but we really don't want to.  Smiley Frustrated

EB

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I guess I'd have to agree. But at least the M5 shows that Canon is getting serious about the M product line. With a more powerful battery and a few other tweaks, the next model could be a pretty decent camera.

You guys raise some valid points.  It ain't perfect.  But, it is very compact and packs a 24MP APS-C sensor and a DIGIC 6. 

The small batteries are a result of the compact size.  Using the EF lenses with the adapter is a load.  But, if they had  a wider selection of lenses, or at least some faster lenses, for EOS-M mount, then battery capacity would be less of an issue.

Like I said, I had a happy accident of discovering that the cameras have focus peaking on the LCD display. And, the focus peaking is really quite good.  I usually get better results manually focusing than I can using autofocus.  I can't say why that is the case, but that's what it is with a EF 40mm pancake.

With a manual lens I can get over 300 shots on a single charge, compared to roughly 100-150 shots the specs say with an autofocus lens.

If somebody gets the silly notion they want a mirrorless camera (in a Canon), they need to look at the G1x Mk II.  Not the Mx series.  IMHO, of course as always. Smiley Wink

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If somebody gets the silly notion they want a mirrorless camera (in a Canon), they need to look at the G1x Mk II.  Not the Mx series.  IMHO, of course as always. Smiley Wink

Smallish sensor? No interchangeable lenses? No eye-level viewfinder? Sounds like one (small) step above a cell phone camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Smallish sensor? No interchangeable lenses? No eye-level viewfinder? Sounds like one (small) step above a cell phone camera.

Those reasons, and more, are precisely why I went M Series, instead of G Series. Number one, serviceablity.

i think G Series cameras are great while they work, but are actually very expensive disposable cameras.  I can actually clean my sensor, if it gets dusty.  I can change out my lens if I want to, and use most of my existing arsenal of lenses.

Announcements