cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeat Canon R5 EVF condensation issue.

toshii
Apprentice

I'm a wedding photographer based in South Australia and I've owned x2 Canon R5's now since early 2021. Every single time I've shot in the rain; irrespective as to whether it's a quick 30 second soak or prolonged drizzle, both of my EVF's experience severe condensation issues. It makes it near impossible to use the EVF for sometimes up to 6 hours which isn't ideal on a busy and long wedding day.

I've sent the cameras back a couple of times to CPS here in Australia and the guys were really happy to help. They ended up replacing the Finder Assembly (YN5-0402) in both cameras free of charge last month. However I travelled to England last week for a wedding where I was exposed to rain for around 60 seconds. Sure enough both EVF's completely fogged for the rest of the afternoon.

I've been told repeatedly that it's due to a change in ambient climate however in summer im constantly going from hot humid conditions outside to cool air conditioned / climate controlled interiors, yet I've never suffered any issues whatsoever. I have been advised to leave both cameras in a zip lock bag for a hour when changing between indoors / outdoors but thats not really helpful when im shooting a wedding.

1 REPLY 1

TomRamsey
Enthusiast

If it is fogging on the inside it is the weather sealing.  Going from a cold environment to warmer will cause condensation quickly, but that should be on the outside of the viewfinder and lens.

Announcements